Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hellraiser: Revelations (2011)



Hellraiser:  Revelations
directed by:  Víctor Garcia
starring:  Nick Eversman, Jay Gillespie, Stephan Smith Collins, Tracey Fairaway, Daniel Buran, Sebastien Roberts
Format:  Netflix Streaming

   So I wanted to just bash the crap out of this movie.   Not because it didn't have our favorite actor Doug Bradley playing Pinhead but because it's just fun for me to poke fun at all the new Hellraiser films for a variety of reasons.  I mean one and two are basically for me one film in the sense that you can watch both in a sitting and it looks like they were shot at the same time by the same exact people.  Then 3 comes out of nowhere re-creating the rules, etc. for a fun little cheesefest that I do enjoy but not because it's even an acceptable sequel to the originals.  Bloodline I very much enjoyed and I liked Inferno but neither were even close to 1 and 2.  Bloodline for me is great because of the story by itself as a stand alone film and same with Inferno except that Inferno as I remember it strayed away from the original story a bit too much to be called a good sequel.  Food for thought maybe I should rewatch that.  The others I despised greatly.  Truthfully I despise 3 as well but it's so bad I enjoy it, "That's a wrap!"  A line I will never forget since I almost pee my pants every time I watch it.  Plus Paula Marshall as Terri is hot as hell.
     Anyway my rating of  2 and half stars is actually a good thing since I was expecting to give it a DUD rating.  Plus I didn't really like it I just didn't hate it.   I suppose maybe when you go into wanting to hate something sometimes you just get disappointed and liking it at least enough to watch again.  Will I watch this again?  Yeah I can see watching it again I did enjoy the characters and story enough for that.  I mean the actors whom I don't even care to name who played the parents were pretty lousy with the possible exception of Sebastian Roberts who plays Nico's father.  He was believable but as for the other three parents of our main characters nothing any of them did or said did I find
entertaining.  I don't mind so-so acting at all but for some reason I can't explain these people just about ruined the movie for me.  For example I hated every speaking part by Dr. Ross Craven I really wanted to reach into the screen and pull his face off. 
     Now let's go to Pinhead himself Stephan Collins.  Yeah as I said before I don't need Doug Bradley in the role he's done his dues with Pinhead and frankly I wish he wasn't in any of them past 2 but that's just me.  However that all being said this Collins guy did not hit the mark at all, not in lines which aren't his fault, or in mannerisms and voice which is his fault.  Not to mention the worst Pinhead make up ever done.  And the worst Chatterer make-up I laughed when I saw the Chatterer he looks like he has a giant new born baby head.  What are you thinking as a special effects designer making a cenobite so obviously inferior to the original make-up design which was done in the 80's.  The newly created cenobite however was brutal and awesome compared to his counterparts.  I did love the scene with Pinhead ramming spikes into his head.
     I did like the storyline of the movie.  Two boys run off from rich mommy and daddy because one Nico played by Jay Gillespie is just plain bored with the thrill of life and so off he goes to Tijuana to lose himself as it were.  Steven played by Nick Eversman parties right along aide of his friend all night long until the two get into a squabble over a hooker.  Worse comes to worse and the hooker ends up dead leaving the two boys in fear of being thrown in a Mexican jail for the rest of their lives.  Nico claims the girl fell and hit her head but there's just something fishing about the whole thing which they never did explain but really didn't need to I suppose.  After the two go to a bar to think it through they come upon a vagrant played by Daniel Buran who did the part almost perfectly.  This was another thing I really liked about this movie it at least tried to follow suite with the original story.  Vagrant appearing and delivering the box, reappearing mysteriously, when you open the box the cenobites come for you and whomevers in the room not just randomly attacking anyone on the street like in 3.  There were a lot of things like this which were completely tossed out the window and sure I like a good original twist on things but I don't know it's hard to explain other than to say Clive Barker's films and books have a certain mythological suite to follow and altering something is one thing but basically pretending the first films don't exist to me is a no-no.  It's like the other sequels except Bloodline just stole the Pinhead character and made their own movie.  Not in this one.  At least for me anyway everyone else seems to hate it.
     To close I finish the plot line which is that the parents went looking for the boys after a long disappearance finding only Steven's bag with various things in it including the puzzle box and their video camera.  The camera showed the boys deaths along with the murder evidence of the hooker in the bathroom or at least what looked like a murder.  Steven's sister Emma who was dating Nico gets upset with her dead boyfriend for cheating on her in the video opens the box and mayhem ensues.  I really couldn't cheer for the parents at all here I really couldn't stand any of them but as I said Sebastian Roberts who played Nico's father outshines the rest of them by far which isn't saying much.  There is something else they did in the first Hellraiser that they did in this film but I'm not spoiling it for anyone here so my recommendation is if you have some time to waste it's worth a watch.  Will you watch it again?  My money is on no but it definitely worth seeing because it's the best representation of the first two films as far as I'm concerned story-wise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment