Friday, December 20, 2013

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (1987)


Silent Night Deadly Night 2 (1987)
directed by:  Lee Harry
starring:  Eric Freeman, James Newman, Elizabeth Kaitan, Jean Miller
Tagline:  The nightmare is about to begin....AGAIN!
Format:  NTSC 1 Personal Collection

      I love Christmas horror films.  Even more than I love Halloween horror films.  Maybe it's because you expect some good Halloween horrors and Christmas well not so much.  Here is by far one of the worst of the lot but a true classic in a so bad-it's good sort of way.  In the end I have to go with half a bloody hand print for the simple fact that I cannot rate this film any higher being that half of it just recycles what went on in the first movie.  I cannot stand that part of this movie. 

     In this movie we follow Ricky (Eric Freeman) the brother of Billy from the first film's killing spree who was passed around from an orphanage to a foster family till he was 18.  The movie starts with Ricky in a mental hospital for the criminally insane being interviewed and evaluated by Dr. Henry Bloom (James Newman).  I seriously think Eric Freeman is the worst actor I've ever seen in my entire life.  For real I'm sitting here going through all the bad movies with bad acting I've seen (which is a tremendous amount) and I can't think of anyone worse.  His fake laughing, his facial expressions, his stupid grin all just so bad.  I guess this guy was one of the kids in Children of the Corn but fortunately I don't remember him in that.

     Like I said the first half of the movie is just a rehash of Silent Night Deadly Night going right down through every kill after re-telling the story of why his brother went on the first set of murders.  Of course here's another reason I threw out the half a hand print rating, he tells the friggn story wrong.  There is a scene in the first where a preacher dressed up like Santa and the police who mistake him for Billy shoot the man in fron of Ricky and the other kids playing outside at the orphanage where Ricky grew up.  When Ricky is telling the story he refers to this man as the janitor.  I mean what the hell you can't even get your own story correct, is this a George Lucas film writing class?   I just usually fast forward these parts since I always watch this piece of crap before the far better first film.  The good doctor thinks he's got big Ricky wrapped up like a present as he makes threats and even pokes fun at Ricky.  Bad mistake. 

     Ricky continues on explaining how his life went after the orphanage which of course is a series of murders after he grows up and his stepfather dies.  Ricky who was a mere baby at the time of the first film's events for some reason has the same flashbacks as his 8 year old brother Billy.  Yet another monkey wrench for this movie.  I mean they had a perfect way to pick up his reasoning for killing everyone.  Not only does he get blood splattered on him as a child at the orphanage when the priest is killed by the cops but he is also right there when Billy gets shot.  But no we have to go and once again recycle from the first movie.  So yeah Ricky explains how things got crazy in his world.  First running over a man trying to force sex with his girlfriend in a field, then a loan shark in an alley behind where he works who got an umbrella through the belly.  After that Ricky goes on explaining the death of his one true love Jennifer (Elizabeth Kaitan) and how much he loved her.  Enough to you know murder her when he finds out she had another lover once in her life.  He takes out the old boyfriend by hooking "Chip" up to his own car battery and frying the shit out of him till his eyeballs pop. 
  In the end Ricky ends up murdering the good doctor and escaping the mental hospital in search of the infamous Mother Superior (Jean Miller) from the first movie.   Poor Mother Superior her face is all blackened and nasty from some sort of skin condition and she can't get around too well so Ricky doesn't have to hard a time finding her and chopping off her head.  Do I like Silent Night Deadly Night 2...yes because it's so bad it's just funny to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment