Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dead of the Nite


Director - S.J. Evans (Tattoos: A Scarred History)
Starring - Tony Todd (Night of the Living Dead '90, Candyman), Joseph Millson (The Dead 2: India), and Cicely Tennant (Rebound)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline(s) - "It's not just ghosts that go bump in the night!" "If you think it's another 'Blair Witch'...think again!" "Death Follows Those Who Seek It" and "Paranormal Activity meets Halloween"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Lately I have started to see horror legends from the 80s and 90s joining the cast of many new indie productions where they are getting top billing.  I am an avid fan of most of these horror legends and look forward to seeing these films.  However, once I spend my cash on them I quickly learn that, for the most part, the horror legend is only in the film for a limited time.  That brings me to the newest release from Midnight Releasing.  The film, Dead of the Nite, is a found footage/slasher film that "stars" the Candyman himself, Tony Todd.  I was never a fan of the Candyman films but I really do enjoy almost every other film I have seen him in.  So with that in mind I went ahead and gave this one a go with an open mind. 
     The film follows an online based paranormal investigative team as they prepare to investigate the allegedly haunted Jericho Manor.  The caretaker, Ruber (Todd), allowed them to do so but warned them of the consequences.  Due to the popularity of the property, Ruber has to lock them in to prevent vandals and thrill seekers from going in. The following morning the group is found brutally murdered and the police try to piece together the heinous incident by using the camera footage from the paranormal investigation.  The police suspect the caretaker and question him but the caretaker is convinced it is the ghost of Jeffery Heath.  However, when the police investigate further they uncover the truth and a web of lies!
     When I see films now-a-days with horror legends like Kane Hodder, Jeffery Combs, Linnea Quigley, Michael Berryman, and so forth I immediately think that they are only in the film as a cameo appearance and then drift off screen like a fart in the wind.  I still buy these films but I know I will be let down with their limited screen time.  This has also caused me to create a half-assed theory that horror legends of yesteryear have lost their touch.  Due to them getting limited screen time has led to them losing or forgetting their amazing talent in front of the screen.  I have seen so many films in the last few years featuring many of my favorite actors and actresses (many of which I have tattooed) where the acting was almost embarrassing to watch.  Tony Todd's role in this film was almost laughable.  His role just seems forced making him just feel out of his element and that is something I see often in these newer films.  The rest of the cast showed promise in their acting skills but did lack the experience.  The story is actually fun but it was just poorly executed.  I feel as if slashers and found footage should come together which is strange to say due to my hatred of found footage flicks.  If the film is done right it could be one hell of a flick if it follows the true slasher formula and not the self-aware post-Scream slasher formula.  Finally, those looking for amazing on screen kills and special effects will not find them here.  The film tries to use atmosphere and genuine scares to get to the audience but the film is unable to pull it off.  Overall, this is a film that does not put to good use the amazing talents of a real horror legend and falls short on almost every angle.  I can not recommend this one.





No comments:

Post a Comment