Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Infinite Santa 8000


Director - Michael Neel (Drive-In Horrorshow)
Starring - Duane Bruce (Blood Ties), Tara Henry (Made From Scratch), and Michael Neel
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi/Action
Tagline - "In the year 8000, everyone must kill to survive. Even Santa."
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I fucking love Christmas.  I love decorating the tree with my wife and wrapping presents with her.  I also love going for a drive with her at night to look at all the Christmas lights while a thin layer of snow is on the ground.  I also love getting to see family and friends I hardly get to see throughout the year and enjoying a great home-cooked meal with them.  I just really enjoy spending time with everyone.  So I guess you can say I sold out and fully embrace the whole corporate side of the holiday, however, if you are looking for me to say I love little baby Jesus on his birthday then you will not find that shit here.  Anyway, I love Christmas in every way (except religious) so much that I even enjoy watching Christmas horror.  It is almost an addiction. Last year I reviewed a pretty good amount of Christmas horror flicks and as I set down to find more I realized that I was actually running short on films to review for the holiday.  Luckily, the fine folks over at Midnight Releasing was nice enough to send me this to review so thank you so much for saving my Christmas!
     The film takes place in the desolate wasteland of the year 8000.  The world is no longer like it is now.  Everyone is either murderers, mutants, or mechanical robots.  Even the holiday figures has had to adapt to the new world.  Santa (Bruce) has to fight in the arena in order to feed himself and a young girl, Martha (Henry), who he is responsible for.  He found her in a bad way and took her in. However, Martha is no normal girl.  She is actually a cyborg (half girl/half robot) and belongs to Dr. Shakleton (Henry).  Shakleton is an evil genius that has created an army of mutants, beasts, monsters, and robots that he/she? plans on unleashing upon the wasteland.  Shakleton, along with the Easter Bunny (Neel), try multiple times to kidnap Martha before finally succeeding.  Santa follows them back to Shakleton's liar where he fights his way in to get her only to be captured.  The doctor then acquires his DNA to make a new breed of mutant before he is able to use his holiday magic and break free.  Santa and Martha are now in a tight spot as these mutants, along with the endless army Shakleton already had before, attack them endlessly.  Luckily, Santa befriended a few robots and use his power of gift giving to turn them to his side to bring a bloody war back to Shakleton.
     When I first glanced at the poster art for this film I new it would be a fun wild but I had no idea what was in store for me just from that quick glance. This film was fun from beginning to end and never had a single dull moment.  Very few films are able to do that but this one pulled it off successfully.  Where the film is animated I can not judge the acting but I can pick apart the voice acting...which is horrendous.  The voice matches the characters perfectly but their vocal pitch is monotone for the most part.  Santa is always screaming and Martha never really seems to panic.  The voice actors really do have a hard time displaying emotion through voice only.  The story is fucking bat shit crazy.  I have seen my fair share of flicks that made me feel like I was tripping on acid but none of them are on the same level as this flick.  The film honestly felt like a holiday themed Heavy Metal 2000 but the animation was way more fluid.  Finally, the art and illustration is not the best I have seen but for an indie low budget production it was pretty fucking impressive. The animation flows fine and the beasts, robots, and mutants look fucking amazing.  All the characters look crisp and vibrant which really pops on the dark and morbid backdrop.  I could easily see someone getting a sleeve of these baddies tattooed.  Overall, this film is a fucking intense ride through hell and chaos.  It took one wild imagination to create something like this and an even more creative genius to make it.  I highly recommend this new Christmas classic.







No comments:

Post a Comment