Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Measure of the Sin


Director - Jeff Wedding (M is for Monastery)
Starring - Cody Cheyenne (Vicious Cycle), Katie Groshong (Jug Face), and Stephen Jackson
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Drama
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     When I find a movie I have never heard of before I never know what to expect.  Sure, I can study the poster art and watch the trailer but those just give me a small glimpse of the film. You will never know what the film has to offer unless you actually watch it for yourself.  With that being said, that brings me my next review for the film A Measure of the Sin.  The same indie lover that recommend Nightmare Box and Gallery of Fear turned me on to this film and I had to check it out.  The name and poster art really intrigued me so I reached out to the Facebook page.  They were kind enough to hook me up with a screener and for that I would like to thank you!
     The film follows Meredith (Groshong) who flees her troubled home and moves into a household with several other women. These women and their children are controlled by a man (Jackson) who controls every aspect of their lives.  The man warns the women about the dangers of venturing out into the real world and does not give them the benefits of modern technology and advancements.  The women live a lifestyle of a time long forgotten.  Meredith still remembers her mother and her views of freedom but refuses to leave the man and his other women.  However, she has a change of mind when she sees a creature she thinks is a bear trying to attack her.  No one else seems to see the beast and this sets her in her way of leaving.
     I absolutely love it when horror crosses with other genres and sub-genres.   These films tend to be unique and you will usually see nothing like it. However, my experience with art house films is limited which goes along with my experience with art house horror.  However, after just several minutes into this film I knew this flick was an art house/horror hybrid.  I honestly know nothing about art films other than they are made for expression rather than for sheer entertainment.  Now, I don't see this film as an outlet for expression but I do believe this film had a story to tell.  The acting in this one is spectacular.  Every cast member really gave it their all and it shows in every second of every scene.  The casting in this film is perfect and it really shows through out the film.  I would also like to take a minute to acknowledge the female cast members.  They are absolutely beautiful.  This film begs to be seen just on that fact alone.  The story in this one is one of the more detailed stories I have reviewed yet.  The story is so surreal and trance like that it is actually hard to follow at times.  That is actually my biggest complaint with this film.  The pacing is so slow and the story is so dreamlike that is makes it really hard for the viewer to follow.  However, this could also be just me because I am a fucking idiot.  Finally, those of you looking for great on screen kills and special effects will not find them here.  Instead, the film relies heavily on a rich story and beautiful cinematography.  Overall, A Measure of the Sin is a film that has a bold story and beautifully shot scenes but the pacing makes this film hard to watch.  If you like films that is story driven and not that lucid then this film is for you.  However, if you are an idiot and like your films straight forward then this one is not for you.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment