Monday, January 27, 2014

You're Next (2013)




You're Next (2013)
directed by:  Adam Wingard
starring:  AJ Bowen, Sharni Vinson, Joe Swanberg, Nicholas Tucci, Wendy Glenn, Margaret Laney, Ti West, Barbara Crampton, Larry Fessenden
Format:  Netflix NTSC: Region 1 DVD

(out of 5)

      I so wanted to like this movie.  Home invasion, Larry Fessenden, Ti West, Barbara Crampton, what else can a horror fan want?  Well how about a lot less comedy.  This is home invasion not Home Alone.  Maybe it's just me but home invasion stuff for me is terrifying and yeah sure every movie needs a little comic relief but this just went too far with the clumsy baddies running around getting their asses handed to them by our heroine super girl.  I say super because this girl was unstoppable and had the creative sense of McGuyver.  Oh yeah sure she grew up in a survival camp and...yeah not buying it.  She was cool at first and they just took it overboard.  Especially with the ass kicking, oh but it's more realistic when the baddies act clumsy and weak...no it's not.  Sorry like I said all that stuff was cool for a moment then it was just too much.  I wasn't sickened or concerned for the characters at all half way through.  And the great twists everyone likes to talk about were easily guessed.  All three of them, by me, no lie.
    What did I like about the film.  The actors were great, especially Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden.  Ti West was in it as a cameo but I don't think he had any lines outside of being introduced to the family.  Oh well still cool to see him in the production.  And the fx!  No cgi blood was one of the first things I noticed and in this day and time it's rare.  Cgi is ok for certain things but never for blood.  I mean if you're making a film with some sort of artistic cgi ok I'm with ya but for regular splatter and gushing nothing looks more fake than cgi blood.  You just can't replicate blood running and splattering with a computer.  That's it.  I have nothing else to say about this movie.  Such high hopes.

     And as far as everyone comparing this to the Purge.  Well all I can say is I'd give the Purge 4 Bloody Handprints and this has 2 and a half so there's my opinion on that.  Oh wait the Purge was Hollywood fodder....yeah no it wasn't that's your anti-Hollywood attitude talking.  Me I'm not big on Hollywood films but I certainly don't rule them out like some of my fellow horror fans and reviewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment