Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Easter Bunny Bloodbath


Director - Richard Mogg (Bangin' Vengeance)
Starring - Shayan Bayat (Bangin' Vengeance), Meghan Kinsley (Legends of Chima), and Travis Turner (Supernatural, A Fairly Odd Christmas)
Release Date - 2010
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "He's not just hunting eggs... he's hunting YOU."
Format - DVD (Personal Collection (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      Growing up I always wondered why there was a lack of killer rabbit/bunny films.  Sure, we have the ridiculous Night of the Lepus and the creepy ass scene from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey but that is about it.  I'm sure I am missing other films but my point still stands.  There is not that many killer rabbit/bunny flicks. However, things have changed in recent years.  Films like East Casket, Easter Bunny Kill Kill, Bunnyman, and the upcoming Easter Sunday all have killer rabbits or killers in bunny costumes.  This is actually a trend I fully back because most of those films are fun as hell and are able to throw in some eggcellent rabbit puns.  Anyway, several weeks back I was browsing horror blogs and ran across a review for a S.O.V. tribute called Easter Bunny Bloodbath.  Anyone that has followed my writing lately knows I am on a huge S.O.V. kick so I had to see it.  I reached out to the Facebook page for the film and they hooked me up with a screener and for that I thank you!
     The film begins with a small boy celebrating Easter the way big corporations want you to...with candy and Easter eggs.  However, this beautiful family picture turns bloody when someone in a bunny costume slaughters a family member and places her head in the young boy's Easter basket.  We then jump several years later and the young boy is now a young man who is going with his friends on a camping trip.  Things start out harmlessly but the young man starts to see visions of the deranged bunny.  Also, in between teenage sex acts and meddling forest rangers, his friends start to go missing.  Little by little the young man starts to unravel revealing who the true bunny killer is.
     What I really like about S.O.V. horror is that it is really raw and straight to the point.  Most don't fuck around and immediately give the viewer some gory (but very amateurish) kills right at the beginning of the film.  With that being said, one of the things I find distracting about S.O.V. horror is the poor picture quality.  Most S.O.V. horror has picture so dark that is forces the viewer to strain their eyes to see what is going on.  I have poor eyesight so this actually renders me from seeing a film in it's entirety.  That is why I like Easter Bunny Bloodbath.  This film uses the same style that made all those S.O.V. horror flicks fun but gives us a way better picture quality while still trying to give the film that degraded look.  I also like how the film wastes no time with boring dialogue from characters no one cares about.  Instead, we are greeted with a great, gory death.  The acting in this one is hit or miss.  Some of the cast showed real talent in front of the screen while others just did not show any real heart for it.  I'm not saying they lacked the talent they just lacked the conviction to make their roles feel real.  The story can oddly be compared to Alexandre Aja's classic slasher Haute Tension.  I am not going to go into that any further to prevent from spoiling the film's ending but if you have seen that flick then you know what I mean.  Finally, those looking for gory on screen deaths will find them here.  The special effects for these kills are not that great but the kills are still fun as hell making this one fun S.O.V. throwback.  Overall, this is a S.O.V. horror comedy that has tons of blood and tons of laughs.  I highly recommend it.







No comments:

Post a Comment