Friday, January 10, 2014

Aeon: The Last Vampyre on Earth


Director - Daniel Falicki (Devils in the Darkness)
Starring - April Basile (Spat), Daniel Falicki (Too Dead to Die), and Chris Eddy
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The Exorcist meets Interview with the Vampire"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

      When I was younger I actually had a slight obsession with vampire flicks. This was decades before the Twilight Saga was able to completely change vampires...in a bad way.  When I was younger I was completely mesmerized with the mythos that every vampire film had to offer.  Even though the film may have sucked it still offered a slightly different take on the bloodsucker.  Films like Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Last Man on Earth, and Children of the Night are films I used to watch all the time as a kid.  I even watched vampire flicks over slashers which is saying something about my childhood.  However, as I got older I strayed away from the fanged villains but I occasionally will check out one but my hopes are never high for them.  That brings me to my next review for director Daniel Falicki's apocalyptic vampire film, Aeon: The Last Vampyre on Earth.
     The film follows a beautiful young woman who seeks shelter in an abandoned building during an apocalypse.   When she rushes into the building she discovers a body with the blood drained from it near a briefcase.  While checking over the murder scene she finds a type of container that once housed a body along with a bag of blood.  She soon discovers an ancient vampire that was held captive by the government where experiments was ran on him daily...that was until the apocalypse took over Earth and set him free.
     A few weeks back I brought you beautiful people a review for the alien abduction flick Devils in the Darkness.  Though the film was slow at first I ended up really enjoying it once the film came into it's own.  Knowing Falicki was behind this film as well made me get my hopes up.  However, the problems that did plague Devils in the Darkness plagues this film as well.  This time those problems were multiplied tenfold with none of the redeeming qualities.  The acting in this film is not that good by the female lead.  She was nice to look at but she lacked the experience needed to make her scenes worth watching.  However, the actor portraying the vampire did one hell of a job.  His portrayal created one of the most memorable vampires I have ever seen on film.  Sadly, due to the quality of film his performance will go up like a fart in the wind.  The story is something we have seen before and we can thank Richard Matheson for that.  The film is oddly reminiscent of The Last Man on Earth and I Am Legend.  The difference between this film and others like it is this one lacks any kind of real atmosphere.  The film is unable to project that apocalyptic feel and vibe.  A movie should not look and feel like a movie.  Finally, those looking for amazing on screen kills will not find a single one here.  In fact, the film lacks any real special effects other than the vampire himself...which looked fucking amazing.  That, however, was not enough to save this film.  Overall, this is an apocalyptic vampire film that should have been left in the ruins of civilization.  The film is dialogue rich but skips any entertaining qualities.  I do not recommend this one. 












No comments:

Post a Comment