Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bad vs. Worse

Director - Gus Trapani
Starring - Rick Rodgers (Dorian Blues), Pablo Andrade (Loosey), and Stephen Velichko (Peers XVI)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "What they are doing is Bad, but who they are doing it to is Worse."
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      When I get some time to myself I like to throw in a movie and search Facebook for films I've never heard of before.  Sometimes my search never wields any results but sometimes I come across some films that look fucking amazing.  That brings me to my next review.  The film, Bad vs. Worse, was discovered late at night when I should have been in bed.  I was looking around when I came across the Facebook page for the film.  The film had amazing poster artwork and it sold me on it then and there.  I reached out to the Facebook page and was informed that a distribution company (that shall remain unnamed until it is officially released) will be picking the film up for distribution.  This only excited me because I greatly admire this company.  After learning this director Gus Trapani was nice enough to hook me up with a screener and for that I thank you!
     The film follows a young man who is down on his luck.  He got in with the wrong crowd and now owes them money. Desperate, he turns to his brother who he has not spoke with for years.  He talks him into doing a hit with him so he can steal the money he owes the goons.  The two recruit a wild card character that is uncontrollable and unpredictable and embark on a home break-in.  However, the first break-in fails miserably and they set their sights on another home.  However, this hit does not go the way the three expected it to.  These three bad men cross paths with someone far worse...and far more deadly.
     When I first saw the poster work for the film my mind raced with possibilities. Horror fans hardly get a versus film.  Sure, we have Freddy vs. Jason, Dahmer vs. Gacy, and Alien vs. Predator, but that is not enough to fill our desire for mayhem and carnage.  That is why I was so excited to see Bad vs. Worse.  Hell, with a title like that who wouldn't?  The acting in this film is surprisingly good. The first scene scared me when a few of the cast members were obviously trying too hard.  However, the acting leveled out tremendously once the film started rolling.  The main characters were definitely cast very well.  The story for this one is not that original but is still extremely fun.  At first the film felt original but once the story was in full swing it quickly reminded me of the 2009 film The Collector.  Though the films are very similar in basic storyline they are two very different flicks.  BvW does not try to toy with your emotions like The Collector does.  Instead, the film just throws you straight into the blood and gore.  Finally, the film has some decent on screen kills.  The kills are nothing noteworthy or shocking.  Instead, the film makes up for the mediocre kills with great special effects and a great deal of gore.  Overall, Bad vs. Worse is bloody and fun.  This is one fight you will want to see!







No comments:

Post a Comment