Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blood Rush


Director - Evan Marlowe (Horror House)
Starring - Kerry Finlayson (Horror House), Don Donnelley (Blackened), and Christy Lee Hughes (Blood of the Werewolf, Super Troopers)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Once it gets in your blood it can't be stopped."
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     When I was in middle school and high school I was fucking obsessed with zombie flicks.  I grew up watching Night of the Living Dead and the 1990 remake and that shaped my love of the sub-genre.  This lead to my obsession with the comic series The Walking Dead.  Sadly, my favorite comic series spawned an amazing television show (until season 3) that has forever changed the zombie sub-genre.  After the success of the television show, many filmmakers jumped on the undead/infected bandwagon and started making zombie flicks by the hundreds.  At first, I loved it but after watching dozens of shitty films I am ready for the trend to die!  That brings me to my next review.  The film is Blood Rush and it was sent to me by my friends over at Brain Damage Films.  I knew it would be a post-Walking Dead zombie flick but I tried to keep an open mind. 
     The film follows a group of friends the moment all hell breaks loose.  People just recently started attacking each other and eating them.  Among the group is a woman who is pregnant.  She starts to have contractions and the group begins to fight about what they should do.  The pregnant woman and her best friend decide they should take her to the hospital while the rest decide to find somewhere safe and lay low.  As this small group is fighting to survive the local townsfolk are holding meetings in a church about what to do once they discover that people become infected once they come in contact with the infected's blood.  They assume the local voodoo priest (or witch doctor) is the blame and set out to right his wrongs!
     I have seen so many post-Walking Dead zombie films and only a few of them have been unique or entertaining.  After just a few minutes I knew this film would be no different than the sea of others but I had to keep watching.  The acting in this one is actually very good...very, very good.  The entire cast did their job and made their characters very believable.  The story is not that original.  Those of you that have seen 28 Days Later and 13/13/13 will know exactly what I am talking about.  However, the film did have some humor strung throughout.  The humor was funny but did not fit the flow of the film.  The film was serious in tone making the humor (though funny) feel out of place.  Finally, the film does have a lot of on screen kills and special effects but they are nothing special.  In fact, this film has the lowest quality of special effects among this recent boom of undead films.  Overall, Blood Rush is a film that showed a lot of promise but fell short from the start.  If the film would have taken itself a little less serious it would have been a lot more fun.  I can not recommend this one!





No comments:

Post a Comment