Saturday, September 27, 2014

Stabbed in the Face

Director - Jason Matherne (Attack of the Cockface Killer, Goregasm)
Starring - Eric Fox, Dana Kieferle (Goregasm), and Steve Waltz (Grimewave: Cockface III)
Release Date - 2004
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
    It is no secret that I fucking love slashers.  I love slashers of all varieties but that sub-genre has lead to much debate about the sub-genre's origins and which film was actually the first. Some argue that Halloween and Twitch of the Death Nerve is the first slasher flicks while some argue that the slasher sub-genre has it's bloody roots in several Universal films from the early 1940s.  Either way, I prefer my slashers 80 style with a side of camper tits and big hair.  Recently I have been on a sleazy bender with the films of Terror Optics.  I just finished the dirty slasher flick Attack of the Cockface Killer.  I decided it was the perfect time to follow it up with the second TO feature Stabbed in the Face.  This was supposedly a throwback to the golden age of slashers and that made me a little bit hard!
     The film is set in the 80s and a group of twenty-something visit an abandoned home to party it up and wreak a little havoc. They pick the worst time to party because a madman is killing the locals.  To make matters even worse is one of the men in the group is an aspiring serial killer who is using this little get together as a chance to raise his kill count.  In the midst off these two killers is a group of young adults who have to sober up to live.
     What I like about the other two Terror Optics films were their sense of humor and how the films had no fucking limits.  Nothing was off limits or too taboo for these films and that is something I will always admire. After just a few moments of watching Stabbed in the Face I knew this film was more of a serious flick.  I respect that because most of my favorite slashers skip on the humor.  The acting in this one is what I have come to expect from a Terror Optic flick.  They all try their hardest but that is just not enough.  The cast really needs more experience and this can be said about all the other TO flicks.  The story for this one is very complex when compared to the other TO flicks.  In fact, that last sentence is a serious understatement.  The story with two killers going at once is a pure stroke of genius.  I loved that plot point and it really made me excited once I figured that out.  Sadly, it was not executed that way and can confuse the viewer in certain scenes.  I feel a little better editing or writing would have helped this film out tremendously.  Finally, the film has a lot of great on screen kills and practical effects.  The film has some pretty impressive kills that showcase some decent special effects.  They are brutal, bloody, and great to watch.  Overall, Stabbed in the Face is a slasher that needs to be seen.  Sadly, the bad acting and confusing story will prevent this film from joining the normal slasher rotation.  Check it out but don't expect the world's best slasher.








No comments:

Post a Comment