Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ghouls Night Out Trilogy


Director - El Gore
Starring - Bastian Wagner, Cedric Endress, and Philip Petrosky
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Over the summer I checked out the German splatter flick Burning Moon and was pretty damn impressed by the anthology film.  This lead me into the look for other German horror flicks and one that kept popping up was the Ghouls Night Out Trilogy.  I did some looking and could not find the film anywhere until I discovered that the film was released on DVD through Austrian based company Black Lava Entertainment.  I reached out to the them for a review copy and they surprised me with a copy of their recent hardbox release of the film.  When I received the film I instantly made time to watch it and through it in.  Sadly, it would not work in my laptop, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and bluray player.  I reached back out to Black Lava and they were away for holiday and said they would get back to me after and I forgot to follow up with them in a few days.  Several months had passed and my wife got me an Xbox One and I decided to toss it in that just for shits and giggles and it worked!
     This trilogy consist of three short films.  The first story follows a group of twenty-somethings as they visit a friend for a little drinking and movie watching.  However, things don't go that smoothly and a ghoul shows up to sink his teeth into the group.  The second film follows a similar story where a young man sits down to watch a movie only to discover that an undead Nazi doctor is stalking his apartment.  Finally, the third film follows a young man who finds a DVD in his film collection and gives it a watch.  An undead doctor comes out of the television and attacks him.  Sometime later his friends come over to watch movies with him and suffer the same fate.  
     I love discovering new titles to watch and review.  I also love when I discover a movie that I never hear people talk about.  When I discover one that I have never heard people talk about I get to see it for what it is without have preconceived notions in my head placed there by people that had seen it before.  Ghouls Night Out was a series of films that I was able to go into with only my knowledge of the title and that is it.  With that in had, the film did not disappoint.  The acting in the films is not the best I have seen nor was it the worst.  A little more experience would have helped make this film flow a lot better.  The stories in three tales are all the same just told three different times in three different ways.  Originality was not the focus of these films and that is clearly evident.  The film feels like a more modern and cheaper version of The Video Dead.  However, these films pulls an Evil Dead II and gives the same story over and over again with no explanation as to why.  Finally, the film has a few on screen deaths and plenty of gore.  The kills are brutal and the special effects are solid.  Overall, the Ghouls Night Out Trilogy is a fun serious of films that belong on any gorehound's shelf and with all three films clocking in around an hour and a half they are all worth your time.  Check em out!







No comments:

Post a Comment