Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Bleeding Hearts


Director - Dylan Bank (Scavenger Killers)
Starring - Robert Loggia (Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie), Tony Todd (Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead, Candyman), and Dustin Diamond (Saved by the Bell, Tom Goes to the Mayor)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Killer sisters who will love you to death"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I am a huge Tony Todd fan and I have followed his career since I first started becoming obsessed with horror when I was in middle school.  The film that started me on Tony Todd was Tom Savini's 1990 remake of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead.  He stared in several amazing horror films over the years but he has fell into the cameo slump like so many other horror legends like Jeffrey Combs, Kane Hodder, and Robert Englund.  Now, all these amazing actors get cast and the promoting for the film has them listed as the stars when in actuality they are only in the film for just a few minutes.  This really pisses me off when I think I am going to see them as lead characters when they are only in the film for 5 minutes of less.  Recently, Midnight Releasing sent me the horror film Bleeding Hearts to review.  I saw Tony Todd's name listed first above everyone else but I knew deep down that he would only be in the film for a few moments.  I wanted to check it out and moved it to the top of my review list but not because Tony Todd was in it but because of an online incident involving indie director Steve Rudzinski and an actress I had never heard of named Seregon O'Dassey.
     The film follows a group of sisters who live in a small town.  They are all important members of the community and once a year they take a month off to go on "vacation."  In actuality, they kidnap men from around the community where they rape, torture and kill them.  This year they kidnap a judge, a theater owner, a meathead, and a few others.  While this is taking place, a documentary filmmaker has come to town to investigate the missing people and the sister's mysterious vacation.  The town mechanic tries to get him arrested for possession of weed but the judge is gone.  He then takes matters into his own hands and kidnaps him with a gun revealing he is the father of these psychotic girls and then reveals why these beautiful young ladies do the heinous crimes they do for their mother.
     Earlier I mentioned that one of the reasons I wanted to watch and review this film was because of an online altercation between actress Sergeon O'Dassey and indie director and actor Steve Rudzinski.  I am not a professional and never stated I am.  I am an asshole that drinks way too much but I cherish my friends and when you disrespect them I take it as an insult upon myself.  Rudzinski is open about a horrifying situation that happened to him.  Rudzinski is a rape victim that uses humor as a coping mechanism.  This was something he shared on Facebook with other rape victims where Sergeon O'Dassey said one of the most despicable things I have ever heard a human say to another human.  Her comment to him was "Good Steve, glad you got raped.  You deserve it with your sexist attitude."  With the grammatical errors aside, this truly shows how classy this actress really is.  However, I will not let this ugly person ruin the film for me, because this is one hell of a horror flick.  The acting in this one is great with several cast members stealing the show every time they are on screen.  Tony Todd was great as always but the 10 minutes we get with him is damn sure not enough.  The remainder of the cast did an amazing job as well and I highly doubt the film would have been as fun if others were cast in the roles.  This even includes Sergeon O'Dassey who is very talented but has horrible people skills.  The story for this one is fun as hell and is something I did not expect at all.  We have seen several films in the past about killer families like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House of 1000 Corpses, and The Hills Have Eyes.  However, very few made torture look so sexy  and with this beautiful cast it is no surprise.  This was a well written story that was full of surprises.  Finally, the film has several great on screen kills with some great practical effects.  The kills are fun and a few are original but a few are, sadly, are lackluster but with impressive practical effects.  Overall, Bleeding Hearts is a knockout horror flick.  The film has beautifully deranged women committing acts of sexual violence and, for once, torture is actually sexy.  Check out this film because it is well worth it!



  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read! I'm shocked about the incident with Seregeon O'Dassey because her hotness was the main reason I saw the movie; definitely not Dustin Diamond!

    Check out my review of it when you get a chance:
    http://xploiting.blogspot.com/2015/04/rant-review-bleeding-hearts-2013.html

    ReplyDelete