Friday, May 1, 2015

I'Madman (1989)

I' Madman (1989)
directed by:  Tibor Takács
starring:  Jenny Wright, Clayton Rohner, Randall William Cook, Stephanie Hodge, Michelle Jordan, Vance Valencia  
tagline:  Theirs is not a Storybook Romance
Format:  NTSC:  Region 1 Personal Collection                       




(out of 5)



The Movie:  I fell in love with this movie back in the day.  The whole idea of books coming to life has always intrigued me.  In the Mouth of Madness was like that for me big time and before that was I' Madman.  The movie follows Virginia played by the beautiful Jenny Wright whom I totally had a crush on in the 80's and 90's.  My favorite of her roles being in Near Dark.  At the time I remember this movie getting mixed reviews but I really like the film a lot.  The mad doctor running around slicing people up was very scary to me.  The whole atmosphere of each murder is quite chilling or at least it was for me at the time.
The Acting:  As I already mentioned Jenny Wright is in this and she nails her part.  Randall William Cook who played the mad doctor did do a spectacular job combining his expressions, body movements, and lines and coming out quite sinister.  I was terrified of that Madman in my teenaged years.   The rest of the acting faired not as well as he or she but really couldn't be called terrible.
The Gore:  Yes there is some lovely gore thrown around what with people getting their lips, nose, ears, and hair torn or cut off.  Nice effects too nothing too campy here.


The Script:  I enjoyed it.  The dialogue was a little hokey at times but not enough for me to brand it a bad movie.  Virginia works at a used book store.  She's obsessed with this obscure writer Malcolm Brand and begins to see a character from one of his books.  This character of course is psychotic and murders people specifically for his love whom he believes is Virginia.  Every time Virginia reads the book someone dies, and she can't stop reading.  So glad I finally picked this up on DVD.
The Rating:  Three and a half bloody handprints.  Not the best, not the worst, has a lot of sentimental value for me, and again Jenny Wright ha ha.  Scared me too when I first saw it so the movie did it's job.

No comments:

Post a Comment