Monday, May 18, 2015

Eat It Up (2015)



Eat It Up (2015)
directed by:  Zach Shildwachter
starring:  BJ Colangelo, Allison Eagan, Haley Jay Madison, Wes Allen, Josh Miller, Matt Goodfriend, Courtney Wyant, Dustin Mills 
 
(out of 5)


Eat It Up is one of very few non-horror related anything I've seen as far as independent filmmaking goes.  It's a short which is really the only draw back if any of this masterpiece of foody cinema that I have totally fallen in love with.   I first saw this short at a private screening at the horror convention Cinema Wasteland along with the crew and actors.  This was a very cool event for me listening to the comments and laughter from people in the production as they saw themselves in it for the first time.  
   We are set in a sort of gangland style eatery of sorts in which two rival gangs are going at it in an attempt to gain more turf.  It's just such a funny concept to me having basically an eating contest instead of a bloody fight to the end and the way the characters are portrayed as food eating badasses.  Bj Colangelo plays Suzi Creamcheese and she leads the Von Schweets gang that includes Allison Egan as Judy Jawbreaker and Haley Jay Madison as Princess Bubblepop.  Three badass looking ladies all with very particular tastes in food eating.  They are at odds against the Horseman of the Esophagus who are made up of Wes Allen who plays the fearless leader Boss Hog, Matt Goodfriend as Wheezie, Courtney Wyant as Jimmy Streets, and Josh Miller as Greasy Gary the prospect.  Greasy Gary is  out to make a name for himself within the Horseman and to do so he decides to take on Suzi Creamcheese in an old fashioned eating contest himself.
The dialogue in this short is absolutely hilarious and on point with the overall feel I believe the director meant for it to have.  Old school gangland comedy using food eating instead of violence.  Just too funny.  No one really outshined anyone here I mean I know when I saw Dustin's smiling face at the beginning I was grinning from ear to ear but that's just favoritism all of them were spectacular.  I think if I had to pick one out in particular it would be either Josh Miller or Bj Colangelo for the eating scene alone.  Spaghetti was the final choice of the eating contest and man was it everywhere.  Little twist at the end just added icing on the cake for the climax of the movie.  I have watched this a few times now and it hasn't got old yet.  All I can say is that this short little movie was probably a real blast to make.  This reviewer is not a big fan of comedies at all and in fact pretty much avoid them but this definitely had me laughing...every time I've seen it.  Highly recommended. 
    



No comments:

Post a Comment