Sunday, June 26, 2016

Evil Bong


Director - Charles Band (Trophy Heads, Ooga Booga)
Starring - David Weidoff (Scrubs, Gilmore Girls), John Patrick Jordan (Evil Bong 2: King Bong, Dr. Moreau's House of Pain), and Mitch Eakins (Mercy Street, The Fabulous Monk)
Release Date - 2006
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Dude, it's a scary trip!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     When I was in middle school I rented the comedy Halfbaked.  I loved the film so much that I watched it almost every morning before school for years after that.  I watched it all the way up until I graduated high school.  This film sparked my love for Cheech and Chong and any other stoner flick that I could get my hands on.  Since then horror has taken over my life but I love nothing more than when I get to check out a stoner horror film.  Films like Dead Heads, Bong of the Dead, and so on are some of my favorites in the genre.  When I was in college a friend of mine grabbed the Full Moon flick Evil Bong for us to check out one night while we were drinking.  They were not fans of the flick but I absolutely loved it.  It was one of the few films, aside from Necroville, that I remember loving in college.  Since then I have grabbed my own copy and have been watching it regularly ever since.
     The film follows three stoners and their new studious roommate who order a bong that is rumored to be cursed.  When the bong arrives they decide to test it out.  One of them smokes a lot more than the others and passes out.  When they go to wake him they discover he is now dead.  They hide his body so they can have a party in their room.  During the party everyone tokes except Alistair (Weidoff).  They all pass out and the bong starts speaking where it warns Alistair that their souls are now hers.  Soon the bong's original owner, Jimbo (Chong), arrives to help Alistair get his friends and the girl of his dreams back from the evil bong.
     Horror comedies are usually meant to be taken with a grain of salt.  They often have ridiculous stories that leave rationality behind.  Evil Bong is no different.  The film uses a simple story, follows a simple set up, and is full of stoner and pot references.  The acting in this one is fun but far from award winning.  The cast has fun in their roles and create some memorable characters.  I love the cast in this film and personally enjoy every character that crosses the screen.  Band did a great job in that aspect.  The story for this one is so fucking simple yet it is so fucking fun.  The film is full of pot references and humor while delivering some of the best written characters I have seen in a horror comedy.  The film is obviously on a budget where it takes place in two rooms, the apartment and the bong world.  This cut down on cost while making the story seem a little bigger.  I enjoyed that but once you realize what is going on it does cut the film down in size.  The story, as much as I enjoy it, does seem to run it's course fairly early and ends with a thud.  A little more detail would have made it a little more fun.  Finally, the film does have a couple kills with some blood splatter but they are not that entertaining.  The high point in this one is the stoner humor and all the nudity.  Overall, Evil Bong is a fun stoner comedy that has some laughs but the kills are lacking. This film is more comedy than horror but all fun.  Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment