Thursday, June 23, 2016

Symptoms

Director - Jose Ramon Larraz (Black Candles)
Starring - Angela Pleasence (Doctor Who), Peter Vaughan (Game of Thrones), and Lorna Heilbron (The Creeping Flesh)
Release Date - 1974
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I have been lucky the last few months in regards to films to review that were released decades ago.  When I first started reviewing I wanted to check out films people did not know about or movies that time had forgot.  When I was brought on to Horror Society I found myself checking out indie horror flicks that were not yet released.  This soon took up so much of my time and I forgot why I even started reviewing.  Lately I have found myself getting movies from various companies that have remastered and re-released classic horror films on DVD and bluray. One such film that came my way is the 1974 flick Symptoms.  This film was released on blu and sent to me from Mondo Macabra.  Thank you guys for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to review this one!
     The film follows a young woman who is going to spend some time with her friend in her big home where she lives alone.  Her other friend is now missing and she is staying with her for awhile.  Her friend is very withdrawn but as the days go on she quickly learns that something strange is going on.  She has a hard time dealing with the grounds keeper and her friend starts becoming very possessive of her.  Things take a downward spiral when her boyfriend shows up without notice.  

   
     Symptoms was one of those films I have seen around at the few cons I have been able to visit.  Almost every con I have been lucky enough to attend I have found an individual or two who sales bootleg copies of films that have yet to find a proper release on DVD and blu.  One of those films was Symptoms under it's original title The Blood Virgin.  The acting in this one is rather bland.  I have a hard time enjoying the way in which the characters were written and the cast honestly has nothing to work with.  Angela Pleasence does a solid job with what she was given but something was just missing.  She was moody and mysterious but her character just doesn't feel as threatening as the film needs her to be.  The story for this one is atmospheric and suspenseful but is a slow moving horror film that does very little to hold the viewer's attention.  The film ends on a high note with some great tension and suspense but the film is painful until then.  The mystery angle would have been more effective if the film used it's time wisely.  Finally, those of you looking for gore will not be happy with this one.  This film is story rich and uses that to deliver the horror instead of delivering gore by the buckets.  This would suggest why the title was changed from The Blood Virgin to Symptoms.  Overall, Symptoms is a solid film that has some great imagery and atmosphere but has a very slow burning story that is rough to watch at times.  The third act of the film is worth the watch so check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment