Monday, July 25, 2016

She-Devil


Director - Susan Seidelman (Sex and the City)
Starring - Meryl Streep (Death Becomes Her), Roseanne Barr (My Name is Earl), and Ed Begley Jr. (Ghostbusters)
Release Date - 1989
Genre - Comedy/Drama
Tagline - "Revenge is sweet and low"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Back in January I took a break from horror and dedicated the month to checking out some of the films that were sent to me to review that just happened to be outside of the genre.  Most of these films were sent to me from my friends over at Vinegar Syndrome and Impulse Pictures.  There was a few blurays sent my way from Olive Films that I needed to check out as well but I soon ran out of time and my month was up.  I enjoyed stepping away from my favorite genre for a few days.  I made up my mind to try this again in July so when July approached I went ahead and planned on finishing up those Olive Films sent my way.  The first of those blus was the Meryl Streep and Roseanna Barr comedy She-Devil.
     The film follows stay at home wife Ruth (Barr) who is married to accountant Bob (Begley).  The two go to a party and Bob meets romance author Mary Fisher (Streep) and falls in love.  They have an affair for some time before Ruth catches on and snaps.  She burns down their home and gives the kids to Bob before rushing off.  Mary has a hard time adjusting to this new lifestyle of being a mother and house wife.  Ruth, on the other hand, gets a job at the retirement home where Mary's mother is.  She messes around with the patients and swaps their medicine.  She convinces Mary's mother to go visit Mary and is then fired.  She made friends with another nurse who takes their money and starts an employment agency where they use their employees to sabotage Bob and his accounting firm where she sets him up for skimming his clients money.  He gets arrested and Ruth gets her kids back along with a new reputation for helping independent women find their place in the work force.
     Horror fans tend to shit talk the 90s for their lack of quality films.  Sure the 80s had countless horror gems but the 90s did not see that many films released that would go on to become cult classics.  However, there was several comedies that hit the scene that would go on to become staples in my home.  Some were bad but I can't deny them.  The films like Mr. Nanny, Coneheads, The Stoopids, 3 Ninjas, The Big Green, Little Giants, Little Rascals, and so on are films that I love and will often venture to when I'm having a bad day and want a bit of nostalgia.  She-Devil, though it was released in 1989, felt just like those movies I grew up watching.  It had all the right elements and even the look of those films.  The acting in this one is decent but it's far from being the best acted film I have scene.  Meryl Streep killed it.  She was spot on as the pompous Mary Fisher who has been living the luxurious lifestyle.  She was born for this role and put her heart and soul into her performance.  With that being said, Roseanne Barr felt off.  Roseanne was a hoot in her show Roseanne but I can't think of a time when I actually seen her in a film where she was the lead.  I have seen her in small roles but nothing this major.  She does come into her character as the film progresses but the beginning makes me wonder.  She is trying to be a withdrawn housewife who gets shit on and finally snaps.  However, she winds up being very awkward and almost out of place.  The story for this one is fun.  It comes straight out of a soap opera but the dark humor and writing makes it fit perfectly as a comedy.  The characters are well written, the laughs are there, and the story ends on a high note.  Finally, those of you looking for a laugh will find it here.  It has low brow humor, some dark humor, and even a few inappropriate jokes.  It has something for everyone.  Overall, She-Devil is the film I was hoping for.  It has some laughs, some colorful characters, and a story that is bigger than the movie itself.  If you have a soft spot for early 90s comedies then treat yourself with this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment