Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Berzerkoids

Author - MP Johnson (Neon Trash: Forgotten B-Movies of the 80's, Hybrid Moments: A Literary Tribute to The Misfits)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Warning! This is an MP Johnson toy!"
Format - Paperback (Personal Collection) (Review Copy)

Rating (out of 5):
     My time for reading has taken a nose dive the last few months.  I went from reading a book a day (usually the Vampire Hunter D series) to not reading at all.  This was not intentional but life was getting way from me.  The company I worked for was sold to an even bigger company so all the inventory in the store had to be packed up and shipped out and new inventory had to be brought in and put out.  Then the store had to be remodeled and everything done before with the inventory had to be done again.  During this time my wife had our second child, my beautiful baby boy.  After the store was completly switched over and re-branded I was offered the assistant manager position which took over even more of my time.  Luckily, I have started to get in the groove of things and was able to make some room for reading.  The first book that I wanted to tackle was the bizarro horror anthology Berzerkoids which was sent my way from author MP Johnson. Thanks for sending this one my way!
     The stories on this one range from a killer teddy bear wanting to seek revenge for the one that hurt him to a crossdresser with a deep love for dancing who is being chased by a giant scab.
     Bizarro fiction is a strange creature all together.  I'm not very inept in bizarro but what I have read so far I truly enjoy.  Most of what I know comes from the sick mind of Kevin Strange but MP Johnson looks like a person who writes stories just for me.  After reading Berzerkoids I am now a fan of Johnson and will be seeking out the rest of his work.  The stories for this one is very imaginative and really throws the reader for a loop.  Just when you think the story is going to go one way it completely switches it up and takes you somewhere else.  I really enjoyed that aspect but I was not happy with how short these stories are.  Just when the reader makes a connection with the character or is really getting into the story it ends.  The characters in this one range but we do see a few shorts that seem to have similar characters.  It seems like the imagination went into the story and not the characters.  Finally, the short stories in this one a very well written and flows very well.  The stories are not overly complicated or complex resulting in an easy to follow story that can be read by anyone regardless of their reading skills.  Overall, Berzerkoids is the bizarro anthology for fans of John Waters.  The stories are strange, weird, and delightfully fun.  They may be short but that doesn't stop anyone from having fun.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment