Friday, December 23, 2016

Private Vices, Public Virtues

Director - Miklos Jancso (Winter Wind, The Pacifist)
Starring - Lajos Balazsovits (Hungarian Rhapsody, Mother and Daughter), Pamela Villoresi (I Killed Napoleon, The Great Beauty), and Franco Branciaroli (The Voyeur, Black Angel)
Release Date - 1976
Genre - Comedy/Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     December has been one hell of a month in regards to the films I have reviewed.  The month is almost wrapped up and I have seen more films that deserved a positive review than negative.  Also, I was able to work in some non-horror films that I usually put off to the two months a year that I don't watch horror and review exploitation, sexploitation, and the like.  I decided to mix it up a bit this month and go ahead and toss in the Mondo Macabro release of Private Vices, Public Virtues.  This unique history drama was one I had never heard of before but I was very intrigued by it once I heard that Mondo was behind the release.  I reached out to my friends over at Mondo Macabro and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows Rudolph who is the next in line to be emperor.  His father forced him to marry someone he does not love resulting in a very stale marriage.  He is actually in love with his sister and her half-brother.  The three are often in the middle of sexual exploits when Rudolph's wife it away.  His father wants him to leave the country and continues to send his military troops in to arrest him and take him away but he fails to listen leading to him mocking the officers.  One day he and his two lovers drug the traveling circus and convinces them to have a wild orgy where they were photographed.  His father finds out and sends the military in to remove his son and his lovers from the property one way or another resulting in their death.
     I honestly had no idea what to expect when I first received the press release for this film.  The cover immediately let me know that the film was very erotic in nature while being a period piece.  What I did not know was how funny the film was.  An erotic drama that is covered in comedy is something that I rarely see so it was a welcomed addition to my viewing.  The acting in this one is fantastic.  The characters come to life on screen at the hands of each and every cast member.  The cast is energetic, charismatic, and very comfortable in their own skin.  This cast carries this film.  The story for this one is very intriguing and leaves very little room for improvement.  The film goes from one strange scene to strange scene before hitting the viewer with a hard ending.  With that being said, there was a few scenes that was a little hard to follow due to the pure chaos that is unfolding on screen.  Finally, those of you looking for blood and gore will be let down but if you want to laugh and see a genuinely fun story unfold then look no further.  Overall, Private Vices, Public Virtues is an outstanding watch.  The film is funny, sexy, and beautifully shot.  I doubt you will be able to find another nudey film that is as fun as this one.  This one is well worth the price so check it out.  



No comments:

Post a Comment