Thursday, January 26, 2017

Fever


Director - Raphael Neal 
Starring - Martin Loizillon (The Odyssey, Calm at Sea), Pierre Moure (The Long Falling, I Love You), and Julie-Marie Parmentier (Evolution, Mao is Dead)
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Drama/Thriller
Tagline - "They executed the perfect crime...until they got away with it."
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     It was hard to find a movie to watch after watching the extremely entertaining 1988 slasher The Undertaker.  I was surprised by how awesome the film was and actually watched it a couple times before I wrote the review.  It's rare that I find a movie that I can watch that many times consecutively.  I decided to venture into something a little different.  I decided to go with the French thriller Fever which was released a few months back by my friends over at Artsploitation Films.  I received the film several months back but the day I did I was hit with several messages from horror friends who said the movie was a dud.  I hate hearing that especially from people who I actually value their opinions.  Sucks even more considering it was an Artsploitation release.  I put it on the bottom of the stack and decided today was the day that I would be brave enough to watch it.
     The story for this is simple enough.  Two friends, Damien (Loizillon) and Pierre (Moure), who spot a beautiful young woman one day while walking around town.  The two eventually cross paths with her again and through a series of events find themselves murdering her.  The two think that they have gotten away with it but have they?
    


     I typically don't go with the crowd when it comes to movies.  What most people like I tend to dislike and vice versa.  When I was told that Fever was an extremely boring film I was hesitant at first to check it out.  Would they be right or would I find another amazing film to add to my collection...they were right.  The acting in this one is great.  In fact, it was one of the few redeemable qualities of the film.  The cast is great and work very well with each other.  The conversations, though in a different language, feel natural with their body language and movements. The story for this one moves at a snails pace with no build up, drama, or tension to pull the viewer in.  In fact, it feels like something that you could find on day time television between reruns of NCIS and Law and Order.   Finally, for those of you looking for blood and gore will not find it here.  However, if you want slow burning scenes with boring dialogue and relatively no story then this one is for you.  Overall, Fever is a big disappointment.  The cast is great and the cinematography is breathtaking but, simply, that is not enough to make a movie good.  Skip it.




No comments:

Post a Comment