Saturday, April 22, 2017

Ogroff


Director - N. G. Mount (Dinosaur from the Deep, Brooklyn Cop)
Starring - Robert Alaux (Le Clown Necrophile), Francoise Deniel (Sanguine), and Pierre Pattin (Sidewalks of Bangkok)
Release Date - 1983
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few years back, possibly around 2013, an S.O.V. inspired slasher was released.  The filmmaker went above and beyond to make the film look authentic and for the most part he succeeded.  In fact, the film looked so much like an S.O.V. film rediscovered and transferred to DVD that it tricked a reviewer (not me) into believing that the film was actually a lost film. The review has since been removed.  Since I was shown that review I have been terrified that I will be tricked by an indie director into believing that he had found a lost S.O.V. flick.  Case in point, Ogroff aka Mad Mutilator.  I got the movie from my new friends over at Videonomicon to review.  A previously unreleased 80s horror film is a must see for me so I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.  Once I got the film I started looking for VHS art and other info before I checked it out and was shocked by how I could only find images for the Videonomicon releases.  Was this an authentic 80s horror flick or was I tricked?  Thanks Videonomicon for hooking me up!
     The film follows a maniac in a mask as he kills any and everyone that he crosses paths with.  We witness several innocent people who comes in contact with the masked man and find themselves on the business end of his ax.  Also, he dry humps his ax in his spare time.
   







     I'll be completely honest and say that I had very low expectations for this film.  If a movie was even halfway decent then someone would have picked it up and released it before now.  With that thought lingering in my mind like a beefy burrito fart I went into this film ready to be disappointed but was shocked by how much fun I actually had.  Don't get me wrong, the movie is horrible but it was still extremely enjoyable.  The acting in this one is atrocious.  The cast has no experience, shows no dedication to character, and makes no attempt at acting.  They get in front of the camera and act a fool until they are brutally murder.  This movie has some of the worst acting I have ever seen and I loved every minute of it.  It fit the movie perfectly.  The story for this one is non-existent.  We follow a masked buffoon as he kills people before stroking his ax.  Literally nothing to it and definitely not enough to make a movie that is over an hour long but by god they did and you can't stop watching.  Finally, the film is full of kills that use some of the cheapest effects I have ever seen.  They looked horrendous but, once again, it fit the movie perfectly and added even more enjoyment to the overall appearance.  Overall, Ogroff is a fucking train wreck of a film but you can't stop watching.  This is one of those films that is so bad it's good and I can't recommend it enough.  Check it out.  




No comments:

Post a Comment