Friday, April 14, 2017

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse


Director - Jose Mojica Marins (The Profane Exhibit, End of Man)
Starring - Jose Mojica Marins, Tina Wohlers (Amantes, Amanha Se Houver Sol), and Nadia Freitas
Release Date - 1967
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     When I first learned of Coffin Joe several years back when I was watching Cinemassacre's Monster Madness I was more excited for the sequel than anything.  In the Coffin Joe segment James Rolfe went over the first two films which sold it on me but it was when he went into how the second film ended that I knew I had to see it.  Sadly, I never had the opportunity to check it out.  The box set was just too expensive for me to sink the money into and I couldn't stand the thought of buying the movies one at a time so I put it off until one of those box sets lowered in price.  Lucky for me my friends over at Synapse Films released three of the Coffin Joe films in a nice box set and was kind enough to send them my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film, once again, follows Ze do Caixao who has fled town and is now living in another small town similar to the old.  The people in town fear Ze do, aka Coffin Joe, who is still looking for that one woman to give birth to his son.  He has his hunchback assistant Bruno to capture women where he brings them back to their dungeon and tortures them so they can find the one to bare his son.  He is able to find the perfect woman to carry his seed but her father hires a gang to kill Coffin Joe but fail.  In the mean time, the woman dies sending Coffin Joe spiraling into madness.
   

     This movie was more of what we saw in the first film which was a bit of a let down until the final act of the film when things go bat shit crazy.  I believe Jose Mojica Marins knew that the film wasn't much different from the first film and decided to throw the viewer for a loop with the second.  The acting in this one is identical to the first film.  The supporting cast shows little to no experience in front of the camera and are clearly there just to be there.  However, Jose Mojica Marins shines once again.  His theatrics hold the show and mesmerize the viewer.  I honestly believe that these films would be shit if it wasn't for him.  The story for this one is more of the same as the previous films before all hell breaks loose at the end.  This portion is utterly bonkers and makes no sense but I love it.  I had to rewind it several times to make sure I did, in fact, see what I saw.  This more than made up for the repetitive beginning.  Finally, the film has some blood and minimal practical effects but it is very story driven.  Overall, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse is a worthy sequel to the classic Coffin Joe film.  Please check this out.  




No comments:

Post a Comment