Monday, April 10, 2017

Slasher.com


Director - Chip Gubera (Song of the Dead, Fangoria: Blood Drive)
Starring - Jewel Shepard (Return of the Living Dead, Roots of Evil), R. A. Mahailoff (Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, Hatchet II), and Ben Kaplan (Weekend Warriors, #ThisisCollege)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Think twice before you swipe"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm a sucker for a good slasher.  I prefer the slashers of the late 70s and early 80s.  Most modern slashers try too hard to be a Scream clone.  Scream is good and fun but it is not the ideal slasher and should not be used as a guide.  That is why I really dig the modern slasher throwbacks that have been trendy as of late.  These films are typically fun even though they have plenty of room to improve.  Not long ago I received the press release for the slasher flick Slasher.com.  It looked interested and the synopsis reminded me a lot of the slashers I grew up watching.  I reached out and was able to obtain a review copy of the film.  I had no idea the movie would play out like it did.  It definitely caught me off guard and I really enjoy it.
     The film takes places in a city where a maniac is mutilating women that he meets through online dating sites.  We then meet Kristy (Morgan Carter) and Jack (Kaplan) who met online and finally meet in person.  She has planned a romantic weekend getaway and booked a cabin online.  When they arrive they are greeted by the owner of the cabin, the Myers family.  They are a strange family but welcome them to their property and get them settled into the cabin.  The following night the two bang it out and the next day set out to enjoy the great outdoors but soon learn the Myers are not your typical family but Jack has a few tricks up his sleeve as well.  
     Slasher.com is not the film I was expecting.  When I first received the press release for the film I was under the impression that it was a modern slasher film set in the technological age like the horrid Smiley.  Luckily, the film was nothing like that and actually had some pretty clever spins and twists that I was not expect.  With that being said, it was pretty predictable at times.  The acting in this one is average.  I was expecting to have my pants knocked off when I saw Jewel Shepard and R. A. Mahailoff.  They put forth an entertaining performance but don't deliver the performance I was hoping for and know they are capable of delivering.  The remainder of the cast does a decent job as well but no one really stands out over the other.  The story for this one is a slow mess at the beginning but ends on a high note.  The film is painfully slow and chaotic when it begins.  You will catch yourself wanting to turn it off several times before the story actually pics up.  A little tighter writing and proper editing could have fixed this.  However, the last portion of the film and the ending were great.  I really enjoyed it but you can see it coming.  Finally, the film has some blood but lacks the gore one would suspect a slasher to have.  The practical effects we get are decent but the fact that the film doesn't have the imaginative kills most slashers are known for is rather upsetting.  Overall, Slasher.com is worth the watch but it leaves a lot of room for improvement.  The story needs works and the horror fan needs better kills.  Check it out because it is worth the watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment