Monday, June 12, 2017

The Ring Two


Director - Hideo Nakata (Ringu, Ringu 2)
Starring - Naomi Watts (The Ring, Children of the Corn: The Gathering), Simon Baker (Land of the Dead, Red Planet), and David Dorfman (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Zombie Roadkill)
Release Date - 2005
Tagline - "Fear comes full circle"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     As I stated in my previous review, I was a fan of the first Ring film when I first watched it.  Sadly, the movie didn't hold up well after all these years but when it was first released I watched it several times.  The film was released in 2002 and in 2005 a sequel was released directed by original Ringu director Hideo Nakata.  It was some time ago but I can remember this film was hyped hard and marketing for it was everywhere so I have no clue why I never watched it.  With the follow up, Rings, now on bluray I thought it was the perfect time to finally check it out.

     The film pick ups some time after the events in the first film.  Rachel and her son Aidan has moved to forget about the horror that befell them both.  They move to a small town some distance away but Samara soon finds them but the video is no longer an issue.  Samara wants a mother to love her and possesses Aidan but her possession makes him ill and he is hospitalized.  A psychiatrist believes that Rachel is abusing him and bans her from seeing her forcing her to dig deeper into Samara's past to save her son.
     I've had to sit through some bad no budget horror flicks before.  Most of the time the movie is limited to what they can and cannot do by the budget.  However, The Ring Two had a solid budget but was almost impossible to watch.  In fact, I turned it off for about an hour after the horrible deer scene.  Why in the fuck does a film with this kind of budget have a scene with some of the worst CGI I've ever seen?  It makes no fucking sense.  The acting in this one is just like the first film.  Naomi Watts was once again amazing.  Her character is very strong and she portrayed her as such.  Sadly, I once again did not care for David Dorfman.  His character shows no emotion and is bland in every scene.  His performance is flat and he lacks any sort of charisma.  The story for this one does take the viewer deeper into Samara's back story.  I really enjoyed that aspect.  The film has a great build and offers up the perfect amount of tension and atmosphere.  Finally, the film is full of some of the worst CGI I have ever seen.  I honestly can't believe they let these scenes in the final version of the film.  The death scenes take place off camera so we are robbed of those as well.  Overall, The Ring Two is a shitty film and a shitty sequel.  I hate to bash a film like this but this movie was a quick cash grab and nothing more.  Never, ever, ever watch this film.




No comments:

Post a Comment