Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Bliss


Director - Joe Begos (The Mind's Eye, Almost Human)
Starring - Dora Madison (Dexter, Dark/Web), Tru Collins (Vida, Blind Sight), and Rhys Wakefield (True Detective, The Purge)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I didn't know how to approach this review.  For several weeks now I've heard other horror fans and reviewers proclaim their love for Joe Begos' Bliss.  I thought the trailer looked extremely fun but I typically dislike movies that the masses love.  Umbrella Entertainment released the film on DVD and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  I was on the fence about checking it out but I finally tossed it in.  I did enjoy it but I do not see why everyone is proclaiming it as their favorite film of 2019.  I don't think we are watching the same movie.  Either way, I enjoyed it and want to thank Umbrella for sending this one my way!
      The film follows artist Dezzy (Madison) who is struggling financially when she fails to complete a piece before the deadline.  Her drug addiction does not make things any easier for her either.  One night she goes out to party and runs into an old friend but this night does not end like normal.  Instead, a new form of drug, Bliss, sends her in a new high.  She awakens with more than an appetite for drugs.  She now wants blood and will stop at nothing to get it.
     I watch the trailer prior to watching the film which is something I rarely do.  I like to let the film surprise me instead of letting the trailer spoil certain aspects of the film for me.  However, I feel the trailer did not ruin my film experience.  The movie was entertaining but nowhere near the level that others claimed.  The acting in this one is inconsistent.  I really enjoyed Dora Madison's performance.  Her character carried the film and her role was very demanding.  She did a fantastic job and I can't wait to see her appear in other films in the future.  Sadly, the supporting cast just doesn't do the same job.  The characters feel very generic and one dimensional.  I wanted to like them but I just couldn't and the performances were very underwhelming.  The story for this one is a very effective and unique spin vampires.  I'm a sucker for vampire flicks and I loved the approach this one took to the sub-genre.  The pacing is a little off but nothing that will take you away from the film.  Finally, the film is a bloody mess.  We get some very impressive practical effects and memorable kills.  If you take anything away from this films it's the deaths.  I really enjoyed how bloody and brutal they were.  Overall, Bliss may not be my top pick for the year but it still delivers.  It's messy and extremely fun.  Check it out now on DVD from Umbrella Entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment