Thursday, February 27, 2020

FrightVision


Director(s) - Todd Sheets (Bonehill Road, Clownado), Selena D. (War Ghost), Mike Trebilcock (Thone of Dracula, Werewolf Camp), Brad Twigg (Wrestlemassacre. Killer Campout), and John Ward (Meathook Massacre 4, Ghoul)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Get ready for your worst nightmares to unfold"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've reviewed several indie horror anthologies the last few months.  It started in October and over the last few months I've found myself getting more and more in for review.  I'm not complaining though.  I love a good anthology and I always look forward to them.  A few days ago I was contacted by director Brad Twigg to review his newest anthology FrightVision.  Twigg directed and produced a few solid horror anthologies over the years so I was excited to see what he had brought to me.  Thanks Brad for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to check this one out.  
     The film follows a couple going into a basement where they encounter a supernatural presence and then watch several stories unfold while fighting for their own lives.  The first story follows two beautiful women but there is more to them than it seems.  The second story follows a woman that has lost most of her family to big business and government and has reached her boiling point.  The third segment follows a lonely man who turns to sins of the flesh with a call girl but soon finds his life spirally out of control.  The final segment follows a brother and uncle seeking revenge on the woman that killed one of their own when she murdered a serial killer that was on a murder spree in a storage unit.  
     I'm a fan of Twiggs.  I first came across him when he was advertising on social media for his Milfs vs. Zombies film.  I love seeing a horror minded person from my state creating films and up to this point I've been a fan of his releases.  Sadly, FrightVision just wasn't for me.  I hate to write a negative review for an indie production and I hate to write one for a friend but I can't like them all.  The acting in this one is inconsistent from segment to segment.  The entire anthology lacks likable characters.  Sure, some of the women were gorgeous and a few of the shorts had a few laughs but the characters were not very likable.  They all lacked personalities and fell flat on film.  The stories for this range from fun to a struggle to finish.  I really enjoy Twigg's segment.  It reminded me a lot of the Tales from the Crypt episode starring Humphrey Bogart and the black comedy Office Killer.  The last segment, Axemas 2, is also somewhat entertaining but is missing an opening and a proper ending.  Director John Ward helmed this segment and the original Axemas which was on another anthology from Twigg if I'm not mistaken.  He would have something entertaining if he combined the two shorts to make it feel complete.  The other segments were a chore to get through.  The wraparound segment from Todd Sheets was a not that effective as a bookend segment and was extremely confusing to follow.  Honestly, I rewatched this segment several times and I still have no idea what the fuck is going on.  This, along with the first two segments, made the film a little rough to sit through.  Finally, the film does not shy away from the blood but the gore is a little on the weak side which is unlike previous releases from Twigg.  The effects range in quality from segment to segment but are still fun for the shorts.  Overall, FrightVision just wasn't a consistent experience.  It starts out rough but does get somewhat better as the film progressed.  Honestly, only two of the segments, out of the five, are worth watching.  I hate writing a negative review like this but I have to be honest.  This one just wasn't for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment