Monday, December 21, 2020

Game of Thrones: Season 6




Creator(s) - David Benioff (Troy, Brothers) and D.B. Weiss (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Starring - Maisie Williams (The Owners, The New Mutants), Alfie Allen (John Wick, The Predator), and Isaac Hempstead Wright (The Boxtrolls, The Awakening)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Fantasy/Action
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     It's hard for me to find the time to watch a television show in it's entirety.  I work a full time job and I have three little ones that can't stand when their parent leaves the room.  Bathroom breaks are fun...  Anyway, I find it difficult to binge a television show especially if it contains nudity.  At the beginning ofthe month I binged five seasons of Game of Thrones because I was stuck at home due to a co-worker testing positive for Covid-19.  That was a bit of a task for me so I took a few weeks to take a break from the show before making the return.  I had a three day weekend and decided it was time to get back into it.
     This season begins with the resurrection of Jon Snow who regains the Night's Watch after executing those that turned their swords on him while his half-brother goes deeper into his visions where he uncovers the truth about Jon and who the white walkers really are.  Jon then regains his army and marks on Winterfell to reclaim it from the Bolts.  In the south a religious order is splitting the city forcing Cersi to commit her most attrocious act yet.  
     Season one did try my patience.  I wasn't a bad season but it was rather boring and focused way too much on the political aspect of the show.  In other seasons we get more action, character development, and the northern storyline which is my favorite aspect of the show.  Sadly, season six seems to be a bit of a drag.  It's still an improvement over that first season but not by much.  The acting in this one, and all previous seasons, is absolutely fantastic.  This is some of the best acted television I've ever seen.  I never thought I would see a television show with this many unforgettable performances but this does not disappoint.  The story for this one does, to an extent, put the northern story on the backburner while it dives back into the political side of the show where new rulers forge alliances while the Mother of Dragons continues on her quest to gain an army to take back the 7 Kingdoms.  It wasn't a bad season and the story is essential for the bigger story at hand but the diplomatic storylines is extremely dull to me.  Finally, this season is just like the previous seasons.  It's not afraid to get bloody when it has to and the kills are great.  The practical effects are top notch and work very well for the scenes.  With that being said, the visual effects are hit and miss for me.  There is times when the dragons look great and then others they are laughable like previous seasons.  Overall, Season six is another solid entry into one of pop culture's most memorable shows.  It is a little too slow for me but it still hit the spot.  


No comments:

Post a Comment