Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Seven Women for Satan




Director - Michel Lemoine (Kiss Me Monster, Castle of the Creeping Flesh)
Starring - Michel Lemoine, Nathalie Zeiger (Kill Squad, Playing with Fire), and Howard Vernon (Howl of the Devil, Zombie Lake)
Release Date - 1976
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The French film BANNED in France"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     With December coming to an end so is 2020.  I have one day left to squeeze in one last review before I spend time with my family for the new year.  A few days ago I received two new releases from Mondo Macabro.  Over the years Mondo has released some serious films that I absolutely loved so I was really looking forward to checking these out.  With just one day left to review before I took a break until the new year I decided I would be spending my time with 1976's Seven Women for Satan directed by and starring Michel Lemoine.  Thank you Mondo and CAV for sending this one over!
     The film follows a successful business man who has good intentions but his family's blood courses through his veins.  His family has owned the castle he resides in for many centuries and used the dungeon to torture and kill many people.  Now, whenever he finds himself in the company of women he finds himself wanting to kill them.  Add in visions of a lost love and you are in for a castle full of murder and mayhem.  
     I've always had a soft spot for 70's Satanic films.  This was the beginning of the great Satanic Panic and a lot of these cheeseball films were fun.  I had never heard of this one prior to the release but that didn't stop me from wanting to see it.  I found myself really enjoying this one but there was several unintentional funny moments that had me absolutely cracking up.  Regardless if it was intentional or not I enjoyed the film a lot.  The acting in this one is great.  Lemoine is brilliant in his duel performance.  The mild mannered lord of the castle performance is very genuine and down to Earth.  He is great in the respect.  The other side of this character, the demented female killer, was my favorite part of the movie.  Hearing him scream at the women and become unhinged was the unintentionally funny moments of the film.  I couldn't help but laugh at these scenes but they made the film for me.  The supporting cast is solid as well but the characters do not stand out like Lemoine's.  The story for this one is a little messy but enjoyable for the most part.  Having the man struggling with his inner madness is nothing new to horror.  Putting that same character in a centuries old castle full of torture devices does mix it up some but it's still very easy to follow and works for the story.  However, the movie does get a little chaotic with the introduction of the lost love that torments him.  The movie could have really done without that aspect because it is a little confusing and breaks the pacing of the film up.  Aside from this, I loved the story.  Finally, this one has some bloody moments.  Some of the kills are rather lackluster and unimaginative while one or two was really fun and memorable.  The inconsistencies doesn't really take away from the film but one of them will leave you thinking about it days later.  Overall, Seven Women for Satan is a cheap, surprisingly funny, but highly entertaining mid-70s Eurotrash film that you was looking for.  I really enjoyed it.  The transfer from Mondo looks absolutely perfect.  The screen grabs are from the trailer and should not be used to justify the look of this release.  I highly suggest this for fans of Eurotrash.  You will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment