Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Game of Thrones: Season Three


Creator(s) - David Benioff (Troy, 25th Hour) and D. B. Weiss (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Starring - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Gods of Egypt, The Silencing), Liam Cunningham (Clash of the Titans, Doctor Who), and Jerome Flynn (Ripper Street, Black Mirror)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Fantasy/Action
Tagline - "Fear cuts deeper than swords"
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     If it was up to me I wouldn't continue with Game of Thrones after the second season.  The first two seasons were good but for the length of time I put into the entire season I was expecting so much more.  However, the fact that I was sent the entire series for review means I had to keep going and I'm glad I did.  Season three was a vast improvement over the first two seasons with a much richer story to follow.  I'm glad I didn't dip out when I wanted to and stuck with it.
     This season follows the 7 kingdoms as war still rages on for the kingship.  While different self-proclaimed kings fight for the iron throne, the rangers in the north uncover a massive army beyond the wall looking to attack the 7 kingdoms.  
     I was expecting more of the same with season three but with this season we are introduced to a little more story and this time it has some much darker elements.  I, in particularly, enjoyed the wildlings and walkers aspect and I very much look forward to seeing more of them in future seasons.  The acting in this one is exactly what I would expect from the previous seasons.  The casting in this show is absolutely amazing and the characters are some of the best written characters in television history.  We do get a few additional characters introduced and some lost but the consistency is mind blowing.  The story for this one really drives home the dark and troubling times that slowly builds up in the first two seasons.  I really enjoyed how this season really amps up the action while diving further into the North mythology that was lightly discussed in previous seasons.  The pacing is more fluid this time around with action breaking up the dialogue heavy scenes.  Finally, this show wouldn't be as much fun if it wasn't for the blood and light gore.  The effects work for what they are but horror fans have seen much more depravity on camera.  Overall, Season three is the best season so far and one that really sold me on the series.  I really look forward to season four now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment