Thursday, August 27, 2020

Dead Dicks


Director(s) - Chris Bavota (Even the Darkness Has Arms) and Lee Paula Springer
Starring - Heston Horwin (Wiener vs Brain, A Zombie Love Story), Jillian Harris (Deadly Secrets, My Worst Nightmare), Matt Keyes (X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Being Human)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi/Comedy
Tagline - "That's a whole lotta stiffs"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm just going to be up front with everyone that takes the time to read my reviews.  If you name your movie Dead Dicks, Dog Dick, Dicks Dick, or any other form of Dick you can guarantee I will at least notice it.  I'm a product of the Beavis and Butthead generation that cut my teeth on Goosebumps books.  I have the maturity level of a 13 year old and if I see something with a title like that hit store shelves you can bet your sweet ass and half a tit that I'm checking it out.  Sometime back I received the press release for Artsploitation Films' release of the 2019 horror comedy Dead Dicks.  I knew I had to see this one so I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  I'm glad they did because I really enjoyed this wacky flick.
     The film follows Becca (Harris) who is struggling with a way to tell her dysfunctional brother that she is moving away because of an opportunity that presented itself.  However, she never truly gets the right chance to tell him when she receives a panicked call from him begging her to come over.  When she arrives she finds his body but is soon startled by him walking behind her completely nude.  Confused, she tries to figure out what is going on and learns of a strange spot in his room that allows anyone that dies in his apartment to come back to life with minor amnesia.  This soon leads to a whole lot of bodies piling up with no explanation as to why.  
     I had no idea what was in store for me with a title like Dead Dicks but I knew that if the title was that clever then the story would be just as entertaining.  The movie was not what I was expecting but it did live up to the title.  In fact, that title perfectly fits this film.  The acting in this one is great.  Heston Horwin and Jillian Harris are great in their roles.  Their chemistry on screen is fantastic and one would really believe they were siblings.  I loved their characters and the dedication they gave their roles.  The story for this one is a rather bold one for the film's budget but the cast and crew created a very fun tale that works.  The off beat humor and macabre story works.  It's not a bloody mess of a film but the random bodies piling up and the great cast creates a fun and interesting film that will keep you glued to the screen.  Finally, as I stated earlier, this is not a bloody film.  There is a few spots with some blood but not enough to really stand out especially to a typical horror fan.  This film is very story and character driven over the blood.  Overall, Dead Dicks is unique and unusual to say the least.  The story is very ambitious but the cast and crew do a fantastic job.  Check it out if you ever get a chance.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment