Monday, August 24, 2020

Franky and His Pals


Director - Gerald Cormier
Starring - Eric Weathersbee and Shawn West
Release Date - 1991
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     As a collector I often see announcements for movies that I want to add to my collection.  They either have a title that draws me in or the artwork sells me on the film.  It happens a lot and as a collector I feel the need to add every horror movie I can find to my collection.  However, it's not often that I see a movie announcement and have to react immediately to get it.  Sometime back Severin announced the DVD release of the 1991 S.O.V. comedy Franky and His Pals as part of their InterVision Pictures line.  The second after I saw the trailer for this odd flick I had to have it.  I ordered it whenever I could and waited for it to arrive.  It showed a few weeks ago and I couldn't make the time to see it until now.  The wait was well worth it because I absolutely had a blast with it.
     The film follows Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, and their hunchback who are trapped in a cave.  That is until Franky gets a bit of indigestion and farts.  His ass ripper blows a hole out of the cave and they are able to descend upon the small town down the mountain as they celebrate Halloween.  With everyone in costumes they soon find themselves embraced by the locals and the Wolfman even finds love.     
     I knew this movie was going to be extremely rough but I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.  In fact, since my first viewing I've watched the film three times.  I may be addicted.  If you go into this one thinking The Monster Squad you will be very disappointed.  However, if you open yourself up to this no budget nonsense then you will really enjoy yourself.  The acting in this one is fun but questionable at times.  Most of the cast, at least the ones I could find on imdb, have no other credits to their names.  They have fun in their roles but several scenes were a little awkward. Funny and entertaining but awkward none the less.  The story for this one would turn most horror fans off but for a fan of Halloween films aimed for children I have to say that I fell in love with it.  Sure, it does have some humor intended for adults but I could see myself watching this on Halloween with Mr. Boogedy and Ernest Scared Stupid.  I really loved the story, the characters personality, and the situation they found themselves in.  My biggest complaint about the film is the ending and the fact that no sequel was ever produced.  I need some of my indie filmmaker friends to make me a sequel!  Finally, this is not a bloody flick.  However, it is a funny movie featuring very cheap looking monsters.  I really did like Wolfie's mask but the rest of the monsters were dressed for the film's budget.  Overall, Franky and His Pals is a movie that most of you will dislike.  However, if you like cheap, no budget movies with a fun story and plenty of laughs then this one is for you.  No, no one paid me off for this review.  I genuinely enjoyed this movie and you will too if you give it a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment