Monday, August 24, 2020

On the Trail of UFOs


Director - Seth Breedlove (The Mothman of Point Pleasant, Terror in the Skies)
Starring - Shannon Legro (On the Trail of Bigfoot), Greg Bishop (The Edge of Jonesy, Unidentified: Inside America's UFO Investigation), and Aleksander Petakov (Momo: The Missouri Monster)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Documentary/Sci-Fi
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've been a fan of cryptids and cryptozoology for sometime now.  The interest sprung up in elementary school when my visits to the library for Goosebumps books took me down the road of bigfoot and other cryptids.  I've watched and review several cryptid films and documentaries over the years but I've never found interest in UFOs.  Sure, I was raised on The X-Files but my interest in UFO conspiracies ends with that show.  However, when Small Town Monsters released On the Trail of UFOs I knew I would have to pick it up and eventually review it...and here I am.
       This mini-series follows Seth Breedlove, the Small Town Monsters crew, and podcaster Shannon Legro as they travel through alleged UFO sightings, speaking with witnesses, and attempting to seek answers for questions that many have asked.  The documentary series doesn't just regurgitate famous sightings but gives us a historical look at time of the most famous sightings along with newer sightings and why some witnesses never come forward.
     I went into this one with an open mind knowing Small Town Monsters has yet to let me down.  I typically avoid stuff with this subject matter but I was also curious about the series and I have to say that it was very entertaining.  It didn't change my views on the matter but I still had some fun with it.  The interviews in this one span different backgrounds.  We have interviews from eye witnesses, people that study unidentified sightings, ufologists, and avid believers.  The wide array of interviews really shows how deep and widespread sightings are but, much like my opinion mentioned on On the Trail of Bigfoot, I would have loved to hear from skeptics.  It would add another layer to the series.  The series does jump around from topic to topic and it's not necessarily in chronological order but it fits the theme of each episode which works.  If it jumped around from topic to topic with no rhyme or reason it would have created a confusing episode but it doesn't here.  Finally, the film is edited smoothly and each episode transitions nicely between each other.  The topic is handled well in each episode which makes for an entertaining experience.  Overall, On the Trail of UFOs is a fascinating watch but one of the hardest reviews I've had to write.  My lack of knowledge on the subject mixed with the uninterest in UFOs made me almost skip the review.  However, I did enjoy the series and wanted to share my thoughts on it.  Check it out even if you are a skeptic.  You will still enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment