Friday, September 4, 2020

Cries of Pleasure


Director - Jess Franco (Shining Sex, Cecilia)
Starring - Lina Romay (Lust for Frankenstein, Vampire Blues), Rocio Freixas (Police Destination Oasis, The Erotic and Wacky Tunnel of Time), and Antonio Mayans (The Bounty Killer, Stop Over in Hell)
Release Date - 1983
Genre - Thriller
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Jess Franco and I have a strained relationship.  His movies either hit right with me or completely miss their marks.  After watching two fairly entertaining I knew I would be trying my luck as I prepared for my third and fourth Franco flick.  I recently reviewed Shining Sex from Severin and Cecilia from Blue Underground.  I wanted to keep the Franco train rolling and decided to toss in Cried for Pleasure which was also released by Severin.  This was pushing my luck because this one did not hit like the other two films did.  I still want to thank Severin for sending this one over.  
     The film follows a man who invites his new plaything to live with him, his wife, and his mentally stunted friend that plays guitar and watches the nudity.  His wife is also mentally unstable and was recently released from a mental hospital so he is using his new girlfriend as bait to push her over the edge so he can inherit her fortunes.


     I've seen some amazing Franco flicks and I've seen some Franco flicks that I struggled to finish.  This one falls somewhere in between the two.  The movie would have worked if it was a lot shorter but at an hour and a half the story was stretched way too thin.  The acting in this one is pretty good.  Lina Romay delivers a fantastic performance while the supporting cast, which is fairly small, does great to pick up the slack.  The sec scenes are very intimate but the characters do fall flat.  The story for this one is a sexploitation of a classic story used in horror movies over the last 60 years.  We follow a man who married into money and is using his girlfriend as a way to get rid of his wife.  It's not that original and sex scenes that stretch for so long makes it painfully boring.  Sexy, but boring.  Finally, if you are looking for the red stuff you will not find any here.  However, nudity is in EVERY scene.  Overall, Cries of Pleasure just wasn't for me.  It moved so slow and the story just didn't have enough meat on the bone.  The blu looks great but the film itself just wasn't that entertaining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment