Tuesday, September 8, 2020

The Naughty Victorians


Director - Robert Sickinger (Love in a Taxi)
Starring - Susan Sloan (Wild Girls, Heavy Load), Beerbohn Tree (Skin-Flicks, The Night of the Spanish Fly), and Angel Barrett (Private Practice, Wet Rock)
Release Date - 1975
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "The first totally erotic major motion picture"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few days ago I spent three or four days reviewing just as many Jess Franco flicks that was sent over for review from Severin Films and Blue Underground.  I then jumped back into horror with both feet reviewing some new classics, as well as, some classic horror films from yesteryear.  As much as I love horror I always find myself becoming obsessed with exploitation in all it's different flavors.  Back in July I got a few of Vinegar Syndrome's releases in for review.  One of those releases really peaked my interest and I couldn't stay away from it.  I want to thank Vin Syn for sending over the 1975 sexploitation flick The Naughty Victorians.  
     The film follows Jack (Tree) who is engaged to Alice (Sloan).  He can't wait until his wedding night so he builds a contraption in his sound proof basement where he ties her up to have his way with her.  She doesn't like it at first but before Jack is finished she finds herself enjoying it.  After the fact she becomes his accomplice and the two lure other women into his sex dungeon to torture and enlighten. 

     A nudie flick set during the Victorian era really made my mind wonder with the possibilities.  The movie was not what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it.  Honestly, it was the cast that made this one as entertaining as it was.  I couldn't imagine anyone else in this film aside from Tree and Sloan.  The acting in this one is my favorite part of the movie.  Sloan is great as the female lead but her energy is only matched by Tree's charisma.  The characters are great and the dialogue really brought the humor to this skin flick.  The story for this one is simple but works for what it is.  It's a sexploitation flick that doesn't make the viewer think.  It's straight forward and brings out the nudity fairly well.  Finally, those of you looking for blood and gore will be very disappointed.  Hell, if you are looking for women getting tortured you will be disappointed.  However, if boobs and bush is your pleasure then you will be satisfied.  Overall, The Naughty Victorians is a sleazy period piece that has some laughs.  It is a fun watch but don't expect something that will stick with you.  The blu is a brilliant transfer from Vin Syn that I would highly recommend for collectors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment