Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Pet Sematary



Director - Mary Lambert (Tales from the Crypt, Pet Sematary II_
Starring - Dale Midkiff (The Crow: Salvation, The Outer Limits), Fred Gwynne (The Munsters, The Mysterious Stranger), and Denise Crosby (Itsy Bitsy, Dolly Dearest)
Release Date - 1989
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Sometimes dead is better"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Elementary was when I discovered that horror was my genre that I could embrace.  Goosebumps, as I stated prior to, is what opened my mind to horror and soon I found myself reading the works of Stephen King, cryptozoology, and Appalachian ghost stories.  I was already aware of King's work before my horror obsession after watching the films Maximum Overdrive and Pet Sematary with my grandmother when I was much younger but I never read his works until after I discovered Goosebumps.  Pet Sematary was one of my comfort horror films growing up that I would often spin when I was having a bad day or just needed something to watch when television was boring.  I recently received a blu set of several of King's adaptations.  After watching The Dead Zone for the first time I went ahead and revisited this tale from my childhood.  
     The film follows the Creed family that recently moved to the small town.  There is an old path leading away from their home that leads to an old pet cemetery.  However, there is a legend that if you continue through the cemetery you will find yourself in an old Native American burial ground.  The family face some strange occurrences after moving in.  The father Louise (Midkiff) is the doctor at the university and lost a patient his first day at work and soon finds himself haunted by the young man that passed away.  Soon their pet cat Church dies after it is struck by a vehicle.  Afraid of how heartbroken his daughter will be, he turns to his neighbor Jud (Gywnne) who tells him about the burial ground.  They bury the cat and the next day Church reappears but not acting like it's usual self.  Things go back to normal but another tragedy strikes with their youngest child is struck by a truck and dies.  Heartbroken and grieving, Louise buries him in the burial ground and sparking the end of his family as he knows it.
     Pet Sematary is one of the most popular horror films to come out of the 90s and has went on to become one of the biggest horror titles in horror history.  Even if you don't like the film you've still seen it and know exactly how iconic it is.  It has inspired other horror films, novels, and artwork for the last 30 years and no one can deny it doesn't deserve it's spot in horror history.  Honestly, I love the film and I am still shocked that I was sent a copy of it to review.  The acting in this one is top notch.  Midkiff and Gywnne are fantastic together.  Their characters feed off each other and their acting skill in front of the camera really works for both characters.  The newest PS film is a fantastic film but the characters are not as entertaining as this one.  The supporting cast is fantastic as well with the child actors not getting as much credit as deserve.  The story for this one terrified me a s child and still gives me chills at times. turning a Native American burial ground into a horror legend has always fascinated people but twisting it into a way to bring the dead back to life is fucking genius and unique.  Some of the scenes are dry but they don't take away from the overall film.  Finally, the film has some great practical effects.  It's not as bloody as it could have been but the deaths we do get and the practical effects are fucking great.  The first kill is the best in the film but it does not set the tone for future deaths.  Overall, Pet Sematary is a fantastic watch especially late at night or during the Halloween season.  I've seen this movie so many times and it usually gets a re-release around Halloween with different artwork.  The blu looks great but so did the DVD I bought several years back with no real noticeable difference between the two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment