Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Demonia


Director - Lucio Fulci (Don't Torture A Duckling, The New York Ripper)
Starring - Brett Halsey (Return of the Fly, The Black Cat), Meg Register (Boxing Helena, Running Scared), and Link Salemme (Demons, Delirium)
Release Date - 1990
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "No evil deed goes undone"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Lucio Fulci is a filmmaker that I greatly admire but I've yet to see all his films.  His movies Zombie, The Beyond, House by the Cemetery, and City of the Living Dead are some of my favorite horror films.  Sadly, I rarely venture into his other films aside from the ones sent my way for review.  I think it's because I love those films so much that if I'm watching something for myself and not for review I turn to films I already know I like.  Regardless, there is so many other Fulci films out there that I haven't seen yet.  A week or so ago Severin Films sent me over a few Fulci films to review that they just released on blu.  The first one I tossed in was the 1990 supernatural flick Demonia.  Thanks Severin for sending this one over.
     The film follows a Canadian archeological group who travel to a small remote village in Sicily.  The locals are very superstitious and don't want them working around a on missionary.  However, they ignore their warnings and uncover the crucified remains of five nuns.  Now their evil spirits are hunting down everyone and brutally killing them.
    
     Lucio Fulci is a phenomenal filmmaker and his movies are a huge part of horror history but some of his films often get pushed to the side for his other films that are well known.  I've never heard other horror fans mention Demonia prior to Severin's announcement.  However, after I watched it I have to say that I absolutely loved it.  In fact, it has one of the most mind blowing death scenes I've seen in a movie.  I don't understand why this film doesn't get the praise it should.  The acting in this one is a little uneven but I enjoyed it.  The characters, aside from the five nuns, don't really stand out.  They do a great job in their roles but the story is what really pulls you in.  Their personalities and personas are nothing spectacular.  However, some deliver amazing performances during their death scenes.  The story for this one mixes the supernatural with religious.  It works and almost plays out like a slasher in a sense.  Most slashers, especially those from the golden age of slashers, followed someone that was wronged as they come back and kill.  This isn't that much of a stretch from comparing it to those slashers.  It works and the historical aspect really pulled me in.  I found myself enthralled with the story and refused to look away.  Finally, this film is not the blood soaked movie we typically get from Fucli.  However, the kills we do get are unforgettable and one kill in particular is the craziest scenes I have ever seen.  This one death in particular will be how I judge future films.  It's extremely gruesome and the effects are out of this world.  Overall, Demonia is not the best horror film from Fulci but it deserves it's own place in horror history.  The blu from Severin looks absolutely stunning which really makes the blood pop.  I highly suggest adding this one to your collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment