Wednesday, February 3, 2021

La Casa




Director - Jorge Olguin (Eternal Blood, Descendants)
Starring - Carol Campos, Camila Carreno, and Gabriel Canas 
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I absolutely love getting movies in for review.  I never know what to expect when I head to the post office.  I get a lot of different movies in for review from several companies and a lot of time I never know what they are sending over.  A few days ago I checked the mail and saw a package from my friends over at Epic Pictures.  When I ripped into the packaging I saw that they had sent me over the 2019 Chilean horror film La Casa on blu for review.  I was unaware that this movie excited prior to this release but I was familiar with the loose series of film sharing the same title from the 80s that were also known as Ghosthouse, Witchery, and so on.  I was very curious about this one and couldn't wait to dig into it.  Thank you Epic Pictures for sending this one over!
     The film follows a police office that is responding to a call at a residence.  He enters the home and soon finds himself terrorized by evil spirits in the home.  
     I didn't know what to expect when I tossed La Casa in and hit play but I really enjoyed it.  It's a simple yet effective film that I could see myself watching again and again without tiring of it.  It has amazing atmosphere, some great tension, and the story was just enough to hold your attention.  The acting in this one is mostly a one man show.  Canas carries the entire film as the panicked and tortured officer and delivers a very grounded and enjoyable performance.  The ghosts and so forth are solid but Canas is front and center the entire film.  The story for this one is so fucking simple but the way it was done makes it so compelling that the viewer gets pulled in just to see this poor man suffer.  I found myself completely enthralled by this simple and quickly done story.  The atmosphere and tension only adds to this one's simple brilliance.  At barely an hour this film is not a waste of time and uses it's time wisely.  Finally, this film has some blood but the focus of the film is the ghosts the character encounters.  Some use make-up effects while others uses a blend of make-up and visuals.  I really liked the way these looked and it only added to the eerie vibe of the entire film.  Overall, La Casa may be a slow burn for some of you but I really enjoyed it.  It's a well made and fun horror film that is able to craft up some creepy atmosphere and tension.  Pick this release up from Epic Pictures because you will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment