Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Mother Noose Presents Once Upon a Nightmare




Director(s) - Dan Beck (Bug Saw, Blood to Blood), Eric E. Poe (MonsterDICK, Cam Girl Killer), and Richard Tanner (Frankenthug, Zombie Horror)
Starring - Erin Brown (Strip Club Massacre, Dick Shark), Jezibell Anat (The Grandson, The Corn Teen), and Jon Devlin (Joe Stryker, Amazon Hot Box)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror/Comedy/Fantasy
Tagline - "Stories to die for"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     About a year or so ago I was asked to share news about an upcoming horror anthology titled Mother Noose Presents Once Upon a Nightmare.  I was curious about this one when I saw that Joe Stryker's Jon Devlin was in it and some of the segments were directed by Frankenthug director Richard Tanner.  I was curious about this one but over time I forgot about this one until recently.  A few weeks ago I decided to finish my Misty Mundae collection.  While she has since went under her real name of Erin Brown she is still acting in indie films.  When I saw she was attached to this film I contacted Jon Devlin about getting a copy of the film.  He let me know that physical copies are not yet available but he did ask me to review the film.  Not to turn down an indie feature I gladly said yes.
     The film follows an evil story teller, Mother Noose, who is telling a series of stories to a person she has taped to a chair in hopes of raising a demon that she once loved.  
     I was really curious about this anthology.  Frankenthug was a pretty fun flick when I reviewed it sometime ago so I was excited to see how this fantasy horror anthology would play out.  I was not expecting to love it as much as I did.  It was funny, sexy at times, and very well done.  Some of the stories were not as fun as the others but I still really enjoyed myself with this one.  You can bet your sweet ass and half a tit that I'll be adding this one to my collection when it's available.  The acting in this one is pretty consistent across each segment but a few of the cast members do stand out.  The first is credited on imdb as S. Watkins who portrays Sindy in Sinderella.  This actress only has one other credit to her name but she was absolutely amazing in this segment.  She's fucking gorgeous and did a phenomenal job.  I need to see her in more films.  Another performance that really stood out was from Nathan Hamilton.  His performance as Hawker is brilliant.  He's bold and his character easily steals the scene.  As I stated earlier, everyone does a fantastic job but these two really stood out to me.  The stories in this one is mostly grim spins on classic fairly tales and it works.  The horror take on fantasy stories was just purely entertaining.  It's been a long time since I found myself having this much fun with an anthology.  The pacing is solid and each story has their own memorable moments.  With that being said, the wrap around segment started out fun enough but I just wasn't feeling how it ended.  It was a cool way to tie it into the stories but it also feels a little cheep.  Finally, the film has some bloody moments with some practical effects.  The kills are not really what stand out here but the practical and make-up effects do look great.  I specifically liked the final scene in The Real Boy.  This one really stands out to me compared to the others.  Overall, Mother Noose Presents Once Upon a Nightmare is a fun horror anthology that doesn't take itself too seriously.  It reminded me a lot of shows like Faerie Tale Theatre meets Tales from the Crypt.  The horror spins on these fantasy tales was really enjoyable.  I highly recommend this one.  You will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment