Monday, September 10, 2012

Cannibal Flesh Riot




Director - Gris Grimly
Starring - David Backus (Priest) and Dustin Loreque (Dirty South)
Release Date - 2007
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Will nothing satisfy their taste for the dead?"

Rating (out of 5):
 

     I heard about this movie back during the glorious days of myspace.  While adding low budget films on myspace I ran across the Gris Grimly's Cannibal Flesh Riot's page.  The page did not have a trailer for the film but it did have have a few clips a few seconds long.  One of the clips consisted of stop-motion, the other was a few seconds of dialogue, and the third clip was the two main characters walking around the cemetery.  The second I saw these I had to watch this movie.  I emailed the director and asked when the movie would be available.   He emailed me back in just a matter of minutes and gave me the date he would begin taking orders.  As my luck goes on that day I put in my order but I was too late.  He had sold out of his 2000 dvd stock.  He did take my name and email address and promised to email me back when more was printed.  He did just that.  He emailed me when he had more printed.  That night when I was going to put in my order, once again he was sold out.  This pissed me off and I decided to spend my money on other films and over time I forgot about it.  Then a few months back it was in my recommended for me on amazon so I went ahead and ordered it.
     The film follows Stash (Backus) and Hub (Loreque), two ghouls, as they pillage the local graveyard for the recently deceased.  After following the local paper the pair head to the cemetery in search of a plot containing an elderly man that just passed away.  Along the way they have to bypass the caretaker in order to get the map of all the plots in the cemetery.  The rest of the film consists funny dialogue taking place between the two.  The two then meet their demise by a giant hand consisting of body parts from other corpses.
      This movie, without a doubt, is one of the most beautifully filmed movies I have ever seen.  The director's style of mixing black and white live action with claymation makes the film look well beyond its budget.  I am unable to find the budget for this flick but I can assume it was low.  However, the viewer will never know that due to the director's mixing of styles.  The acting in this film is very good and the dialogue between the two keeps you captivated even when they are just discussing condiments of all things.  The set in this movie is really amazing and very well crafted.  The set reminds me of those seen in the early universal horror movies during the 30's, 40's, and 50's.  There is not much on the effects but the film does well when bypassing that.  The claymation and set combine to make this film very entertaining.  I highly recommend watching this one.  You won't regret it. 

     



No comments:

Post a Comment