Saturday, September 15, 2012

Porkchop



Director - Eamon Hardiman (Zombie Babies)
Starring - Ruby Larocca (Lord of the G-Strings), Charles Sullivan (The Open), and Erin Russ (The Bunnyman)
Release Date - 2010
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Partying, mayhem, and gore...80's style" and "It's still not safe to go back in the woods"

Rating (out of 5):

     While looking around at movies during one of my many trips to FYE I found this flick sitting in the used section.  It looked cheap and stupid to me so I decided to pick up the collector's edition copy of Donnie Darko and the two disc set of Near Dark instead.  Both are pretty solid films and were on sale for a price I could not pass up.  A couple months later while getting one of my many orders ready on amazon.com I ran across this one again.  The passed six or seven month I have been really into low budget b-movies so I thought I would do a little research into it and maybe give it a chance.  When I found a trailer on youtube for it there was a link for the production company behind it.  In the link was my home state's abbreviation which intrigued me even more.  I found out that the company is actually based in West Virginia near our state's capital.  This made this flick a have to own for me.
     The film follows a group of teenagers as they go camping.  Nothing different than your typical 80's slasher flick except it was released in 2010.  The teenagers include a young couple, her brother, a cheerleader her boyfriend cheats on her with, a girl her brother has a crush on, a foreign exchange student from London, and a robot her brother had made.  The gang head out into the West Virginia wilderness to drink and play some old in out in out.  On their way the group stop in at a gas station for supplies and the two cashiers hook the youngsters up with some 'shine and the group head off again on their way.  Once in the woods the party begins.  The foreign exchange student gets good and drunk, the cheating boyfriend cheats and then gets caught, and the nerd's robot screws his crush all while a killer wearing a pig mask kills them off one by one in old fashion slasher fun.
     I was in awe when I first saw this little gem.  I really did expect this to be one of the biggest piles of shit I have ever watched.  However, I was way off.  The movie kept me entertained from beginning to end.  The acting is kind of bad but that is to be expected and the effects are the same way.  For me the film had two great things going for it; the smart ass robot who screws the chick and Burt Fleming the cashier.  When either of the two enter a scene they immediately steal it.  The deaths are kind of cool and one in particular is very funny and kind of ironic.  Another reason that I got suckered in to this flick is the opening sequence contains shots of places that are literally within a mile from my home.  I highly recommend this one so check it out and stay tuned because Porkchop 2: Rise of the Rind and Porkchop 3D are both being released this month.         


No comments:

Post a Comment