Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Forest



Director - Donald M. Jones (Project Nightmare)
Starring - Dean Russell (One Life to Live), Gary Kent (Dracula vs. Frankenstein), and Tomi Barrett (Rainy Day Friends)
Release Date - 1982
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "If you go into the woods today...you might not get out ALIVE!"

Rating (out of 5):
 

     Everyone knows my love for horror movies.  Everyone also knows my favorite sub-genre of horror movies are zombie and slasher flicks.  I don't care how low the budget or crappy the acting if it is one of those movies I'll give it a try.  When  I'm out and run across an early 80's slasher I have to buy it if I don't have it already.  What makes it better is when I run across one I have never heard of before.  While out at a used record and dvd store I ran across this and Sleepaway Camp.  I grabbed both of them to add to my collection.  I had seen Sleepaway Camp many times but I had never heard of this one.
     The story for this one is your typical early 80's slasher following the same formula as The Burning and Friday the 13th.  The film follows two couples living in Los Angelos who decided to go camping to get away from the city life.  The two ladies, trying to prove a point, go into the woods before the men to set up camp and prepare for the arrival of their boyfriends who would make the trip out later in the day.  While waiting on the men to arrive the two ladies meet a woman asking if they have seen her children and if they do send them home.  Then the two ladies are attacked by a man wielding a bowie knife.  One of them is murdered and the other gets away.  After suffering car problems the two men make it to the forest at the edge of dark and are greeted with a storm forcing them seek shelter in a nearby cave.  Before entering the cave the two meet two children and then they vanish.  The men then meet an older man living in the cave eating meat of some sort.  After casual conversation the man reveals about his past and why he is living in a cave.  One day the man arrives early from work and finds his wife in bed with a repair man.  Due to this not being the first time catching the adulterous whore in the act, he becomes enraged and kills her and her lover.  His two children, grieving over their mother's death, kill themselves.  After leaving the cave, the two men head out to find their  ladies and both die one by one by the cannibalistic killer's hand.  However, the girl, with the aid of the children, survive and kill the backwoods butcher.  After dying the father joins up with his children and the movie ends.  Stupid huh?
     Most slashers are not story driven but this one is a little more complex than others.  The movies not bad but it's not that great either.  The acting is pretty good which was not what I was expecting when I first found this one.  The kills are just your typical stabbings found in 90 percent of all other slasher flicks.  The story was original but could have been delivered a little better but left the way it is makes this one a mediocre flick at best.  One thing I really have a complaint about is the ghosts voice.  It is the most annoying thing I have ever heard in a film.  I made sure I found a trailer with this annoying shit in it.  This movie is just one of those that are a nice watch for something new but has no replay value what so ever.  If you dont watch this one your really not missing much.   

No comments:

Post a Comment