Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Calamity Jane's Revenge (2015)


Calamity Jane's Revenge (2015)
directed by:  Henrique Couto
starring:  Erin Ryan, Henrique Couto, Josh Miller, Joe Kidd, Al Snow, Julia Gomez, Adam Clevenger, Joni Durian, Titus Wolverton, Eric Widing.
format:  Online Screener
 
 
The Movie:  Let's just start off by saying this is not a horror film and nor is it a bloody western of any kind.  As a total fan of Couto's work, Erin Ryan as well as some of the other cast members I could not pass up the opportunity to see this film first and review it.  It's a family western geared for a whole different audience than my usual viewing but I'm a family man, my sons did sit down and watch it too and very much enjoyed it..  I went in unsure of an indie western and I have to say I was very impressed with the movie as a whole.  Calamity Jane is out for revenge after Wild Bill Hikock is killed.  The movie follows as she dispatches one baddy after the next.







The Acting:  All the acting in this movie was where it needed to be especially with Miss Ryan who lead the whole film strong and well ranged.  Tough as nails one minute, compassionate in others.  Al Snow was another who just did an impeccable job playing our tracker/bounty hunter.   As a fan of his from the 90's wrestling this was another great bonus for me...he was crazy back then.  Joe Kidd, Josh Miller, and Eric Widing are three other big reasons I loved the acting in this little gem, all members of the ohio independent family I love and all great actors in everything I see them in.  Joe played a dying Hickock in one scene in particular I very much enjoyed he never disappoints me in any role.  Eric was as insane as always I love the characters he plays, his charcter in particular was just scary looking.  Josh Miller I've seen before in a comedy called Eat It Up by Zack Shildwachter, Scarewaves another film by Couto and of course Applecart where all he really had were eye expressions because of the kind of film it was.  Great actors all around.  Julia Gomez was the breakthrough performance for me I don't think I've seen her in anything else and she did a great job as Calamity's supporting character.
The FX:   Really no bloody effects at all but this a family picture so really none needed.  The nasty facial appliances I will say were cool.  Gross black and brown teeth that even Couto himself showed off.  Like I said Eric Widing's character was really evil looking in particular.
The Shots:  Loved the stock footage scenes thrown in to convey the appearance of the west.  One thing I did notice after watching the movie through I was never in a scene where I felt "hey this looks out of place."  It was very well edited and the transitions between the stock footage, flash back scenes, Calamity's riding, etc. were well crafted. 
 
The Script:  My favorite part of this movie was the script.  Very well written and I found myself in love with our characters.  Even the baddies I almost felt sorry for having to cross the path of Calamity Jane and her companion.  The movie moved right along there wasn't a single scene where I felt bored.



 
The Rating:  Solid 4 out of 5 Bloody Handprints.  My only complaint for this movie are the wardrobes.  Really can't see anything else that I disliked.  I wasn't that I disliked it either I just know a tad about the old west and some of the jeans etc. looked a bit out of place.  All in all though this comes highly recommended especially if you are in the mood for a good family western with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment