Saturday, May 14, 2016

Snuff Tape Anthology


Director - El Gore
Starring - El Gore
Release Date - 2014, 2015, and 2016
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I'm a horror fan and no one can argue that.  I have watched horror in one aspect or another for over two decades and been obsessed with it for around 15 years.  With that being said, there is just certain trends in horror that I am not a fan of.  Italian cannibal flick is one and the other is these faux snuff films that are a hit in the underground.  The two just really bore me.  They typically have no story with the film's running time mostly filled with gore.  As I stated before, I love gore but an hour film full of gore and no story is just boring.  Recently I spoke with my friends over at Black Lava Entertainment, the folks behind Ghouls Night Out, and they told me about their newest release.  This release was directed by El Gore who also directed the Ghouls Night Out trilogy.  I enjoyed those films and requested a review copy.  They sent one over and here we sit now.  
     The film is a series of VHS tape following a man who kills people for various reasons.  In one of the tapes he kills someone for the sexual thrill before letting the body decompose so he could defile it to sexually satisfy himself.  The other tapes follows the sick sumbitch as he mutilates babies in a heinous manner before eating them. He then takes a pregnant woman, chains her up, tortures her and then cuts the fetus from her own body.
      
     Some of my most fondest memories revolve around myself and my brother going to the local video store and renting some movies.  My brother was a lot older than me and moved several states away when I was still young.  He still visited every weekend and renting tapes or Sega Genesis games was our thing.  That is why I love when a movie tries to capture the look and feel of VHS.  Snuff Tape Trilogy was able to pull it off but that was about the only thing it pulled off.  The acting in this one is non-existent.  Almost all of the tapes you watch follows a single man who desecrate corpses, babies, and himself.  No real acting went into this film and that is just from the way it was shot.  These faux snuff films can work with just one person on camera and that one person does not really need to act.  The story for this one is just like every other snuff film before it.  Nothing was done to stand out.  In fact, it was made to fit in. The VHS look has been done by the snuff sub-genre dozens of times with my favorite belonging to the short Holly.  Which, once again, follows the same exact story. Nothing new was brought forward with this one.  Finally,the film is full of special effects.  Though they are not the best, there was some that was still fun to watch.  We get a baby doll that can be purchased from any toy store that is supposed to be a baby.  We have a plastic skeleton covered in latex and other applications to make it look like a corpse but it is still clearly visible.  We have a bright white penis that is supposed to be real.  The effects are cheap, some are fun, but most are laughable.  Overall, Snuff Tape Anthology was not a fun experience.  The shorts were cheap and not very entertaining. The film is able to pull off the VHS look but that is about as far as I can go with the praises.  Skip this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment