Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Mutilator


Director(s) - Buddy Cooper and John Douglass
Starring - Matt Mitler (Basket Case 2), Ruth Martinez, and Bill Hitchcock (Cat's Eye)
Release Date - 1984
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "By sword.  By pick.  By axe.  Bye Bye."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I started watching slasher flicks in elementary school or middle school.  I remember I was very young and would randomly rent them from the local video store, Dewey's.  I wasn't horror obsessed then but I was a fan of all genres.  I would randomly pick up a slasher here and there.  Two that always stuck out to me was Sleepaway Camp and The Mutilator.  Both had that cover art that excited your imagination.  I rented Sleepaway Camp several times but only rented The Mutilator once.  The tape only worked for about 15 minutes and then went crazy in the VCR.  I returned the tape and waited until now to see it.  Recently Arrow released the film on blu and I could not let this one pass me up.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send me a review copy.  Thanks guys!
     The film begins with a little boy cleaning his father's guns as a birthday present when it accidentally discharges killing his mother.  The father comes home to find his wife's lifeless body on the floor and is never the same again.  The two grow apart over the years and eventually the young boy goes away to college.  During fall break he receives a call from his father instructing him to go to their condo at the beach and make sure it is secure.  His friends hear about this and see it as a beach getaway and tag along with him.  They head out thinking they would spend the next few days drinking beer and getting tail but what they don't know is that dear ol' dad has a grudge and goes on a killing spree.
     Arrow is one company I don't associate with slashers but after my last few reviews that has started to change.  Their release of Blood Rage was fantastic.  I loved the film and was really impressed with their release.  I knew that when Arrow announced The Mutilator they would yet again knock it out of the park.  The acting in this one is what you would come to expect out of an early 80s slasher.  The cast is convincing but far from award winning.  If you are looking for a vibrant cast full of amazing actors then you will need to find another film.  However, if you are looking for a body count flick with expendable characters then this one is right up your alley.  The story for this one follows the standard slasher formula where someone is wronged and seeks revenge years or even decades later.  This has been the formula for some of the best slashers including Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm St, Prom Night, and so many more.  This story may not be that original but it does offer up a simple story that can be easily manipulate to fit any scenario.  That is why I love it so much.  These films can feature any kind of deaths along with a wide variety of killers.  That is why so many slashers followed this one.  Finally, this one has some of the most brutal kills I have seen in an early 80s slasher.  It has tons of blood and gore with some solid practical effects.  It truly has to be seen to be believed.  Overall, The Mutilator, aka Fall Break, is one hell of a slasher flick.  The film has some gruesome kills and follows the slasher formula pretty fucking well.  Be sure to pick up Arrow's release now!





No comments:

Post a Comment