Monday, December 20, 2021

Blithe Spirit


Director - Edward Hall (Downtown Abbey, Kingdom)
Starring - Dan Stevens (Colossal, Dracula), Isla Fisher (Burke and Hare, Hot Rod), and Leslie Mann (ParaNorman, The Cable Guy)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "True love never dies"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     
     A few months ago I received the press release for some upcoming IFC and Shout Factory collaborative releases.  While looking through the three or four releases only one caught my eye.  I noticed that it starred Leslie Mann and Isla Fisher so I was very curious about it.  I knew Blithe Spirit wasn't going to be a horror flick but I thought it would be fun to review a supernatural comedy so I reached out to my friends over at Shout Factory and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows struggling writer Charles (Stevens) who lost his first wife Elvira (Mann) seven years ago when she had an accident on a horse.  He remarried five years ago to Ruth (Fisher) who is the daughter of a prominent movie producer.  Her connections lands him a job writing a big screenplay but he is unable to write.  In fact, he has not written anything since his first wife's death.  He hears about a famous medium doing a stage show new them and convinces her to hold a séance in his home in hopes of drawing inspiration.  However, something else happens and she opens a door allowing Elvira to walk through.  Now, Charles is torn between his muse and his new wife.
     I knew Blithe Spirit wouldn't be the type of film I would review but the idea behind it reminded me so much of Burying the Ex and seeing Leslie Mann casted made it damn near irresistible to me.  Sadly, it wasn't what I was hoping for but I will give the film the benefit of the doubt considering I was not the target audience for the film.  The acting in this one was extremely fun.  Dan Stevens was fantastic as the love torn author struggling to find inspiration.  I really enjoyed the character and what part of the movie that I actually did enjoyed involved him.  Isla Fisher and Leslie Mann did an amazing job as well.  Their characters fit them perfectly almost as if these roles were written for them.  The story for this one is a romantic drama with some humor scattered throughout.  The characters are very high energy and fun while fitting in the film very well.  However, the love triangle drama and constant reminder that he is lacking original ideas becomes a nuisance as the film progresses.  I almost wish that Mann's character would have came back as a murderous spirit from the very beginning.  Its fun for a first time watch but it's not a movie that will leave a lasting impression.  The humor misses it's mark and the drawn out scenes makes for a difficult watch.  Finally, no blood or gory deaths here.  We do get some visual effects that look solid but that's the extent of it.  Overall, Blithe Spirit isn't what I was hoping for but it's not a bad film.  Inconsistent but the amazing cast and characters make it an enjoyable experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment