Saturday, December 11, 2021

The Fourth Victim


Director - Eugenio Martin (Horror Express, The Ugly Ones)
Starring - Carroll Baker (Murder, She Wrote, Tales from the Crypt), Michael Craig (Tales of the Unexpected, Doctor Who), and Miranda Campa (Winged Devils, Grog)
Release Date - 1971
Genre - Horror/Mystery
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Severin has been surprisingly a lot lately with their releases.  The one title that I was the most excited for this year was Midnight and that release did not disappoint but Severin has released a few other movies that I did not expect to like as much as I did.  A Day of Judgement was a real treat and a film that I have talked about in great lengths in a few horror groups after my initial viewings.  I fucking loved it and I'm so glad Severin took the risk of releasing it.  It's not a title that most horror fans would rush to but I feel that it is one of their most underrated releases.  The same can be said about their release of the 1971 mystery The Fourth Victim starring Carroll Baker and directed by Carroll Baker.  I was under the impression that this was going to be a fun giallo but that was not the case.  It really did catch me off guard and I fucking loved it.  I want to thank MVD and Severin for sending this one my way.
     The film follows a wealthy business man who has been married three times and all three marriages ended in his wife's death.  The police suspect he is behind their deaths but can't pin it on him.  He meets a strange blonde and the two reluctantly become a couple and marry a month after the death of third wife.  However, his new bride is rather strange and he soon learns that she was institutionalized before.  the deeper he digs into her past the stranger it becomes including the fact that she may not be the woman she claims to be.
     I went into The Fourth Victim expecting a giallo but what I was greeted with was an usual mystery that pulled me in and didn't let go.  The movie doesn't really feel like a horror or thriller but it is a fantastic mystery and drama.  I know most of the horror hipsters will not care for this one but if you like the a captivating story that is not predictable then this one is for you.  The acting in this one is great.  Baker is wonderful in her role and the character has so many layers.  She does a fantastic job at bringing the amazingly written character to life.  Craig was brilliant as well as the womanizing wealthy man who suddenly finds himself in the middle of a hunt for who it was he actually married.  He was great in the role and his performance is one of the highlights.  The supporting cast is just as well done but these two characters are the best written.  The story for this one is not like your typical murder mystery.  In fact, the murder aspect kind of takes the back seat while the character driven aspect takes over.  It works if you allow it but if you are expecting a horror thriller then you will be disappointed.  The film is well written and the story unfolds damn near perfectly.  Finally, the film is not a bloody one.  This mystery is more focused on story and character development than it is blood and gore.  Overall, The Fourth Victim is a great film that may go under looked by most genre fans.  However, if you are open to a more unique experience then you will really enjoy it.  The release from Severin is a must own in my opinion.  I highly recommend it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment