Saturday, December 4, 2021

Star Trek: Discovery Season One


Creator(s) - Bryan Fuller (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Dead Like Me) and Alex Kurtzman (Sleepy Hollow, The Mummy)
Starring - Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead, Space Jam: A New Legacy), Doug Jones (Hellboy, Crimson Peak), and Anthony Rapp (Dazed and Confused, Adventures in Babysitting)
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)
Tagline - "At the edge of the universe, discovery begins"

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm not the most avid Star Trek fan but I did spend a good bit of my childhood watching reruns with my grandmother while my dad was out of town.  We mostly watched the original series but I've spent my fair share of time watching Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.  In recent years I've become obsessed with the new Star Trek trilogy along with the newer series.  Over the last few years I've been lucky enough to review the first season of Picard and Lower Decks.  Both are fantastic series that takes on on different parts of the Star Trek universe.  I had heard of Star Trek: Discovery before as well but I had never had the chance to see it until I was sent the first three seasons for review.  While I was on Thanksgiving vacation I decided to tackle it and it was a fantastic show.  
     This season follows Michael (Martin-Green) who is raised by a Vulcan and his human wife after her family was killed by Klingons.  He raises her to use logic over emotions which serves her well when she enlists in the federation.  However, she is headstrong and her impulses leads to the death of her captain and a war between the Klingons.  Six months passes and she is transported to the Discovery to help the captain while she is in prison for treason.  This leads them on several missions before the entire vessel finds themselves in a parallel universe where the federation is an empire that kills all alien species.  
      I'm loving the new Star Trek series.  Picard was fantastic and visually stunning while Lower Decks was the Star Trek for fans of adult animation.  Discovery was just as visually stunning but the story and characters are the part that is the most compelling.  I absolutely loved it and couldn't stop binging it.  This is not your typical Star Trek series but it does feel like Star Trek.  The acting in this one is nothing short of brilliant.  The series features so many amazing cast members that has made a name for themselves in horror and sci-fi.  We have Doug Jones who is known for his work with Guillermo del Toro along with Sonequa Martin-Green from The Walking Dead, Anthony Rapp from Dazed and Confused, Shazad Latif from Black Mirror and Penny Dreadful, and Jason Isaacs from the Harry Potter series.  Also, the film brings several new faces that I was unfamiliar with and everyone delivers unforgettable performances.  Discovery did bring Mary Wiseman to my attention who is now my new crush.  The story for this one is exactly what you would expect from Star Trek.  The story is fully submerged in the federation but we get other aspects from various other series like the Vulcans, Klingons, and other fan favorites.  With that being said, the story takes us through parallel dimensions, war, and the federation hierarchy.   I fucking loved it and couldn't look away even if I tried.  Finally, the series is absolutely beautiful. The visual effects are top notch and never show a sign of weakness while the make-up and creature effects were great as well.  Overall, season one of Discovery is an unforgettable and an important part of television history.  I highly recommend this for any sci-fi and Star Trek fan.  







No comments:

Post a Comment