Thursday, December 9, 2021

Girl With a Straight Razor



Director - Chris Alexander (Queen of Blood, Female Werewolf)
Starring - Ali Chappell (Necropolis: Legion, Goosebumps) and Thea Munster (Necropolis: Legion, Scream of the Blind Dead)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "She lives by night"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Several years ago I befriended filmmaker, journalist, and musician Chris Alexander after I started receiving press releases from him on behalf of Full Moon Entertainment.  It took me some time before I realized that the Chris Alexander that I was receiving these press releases from was the same CA that had worked for Fangoria.  I respect the hell out of Chris and everything he has contributed to the genre that we all love.  With that being said, I had only seen a few of his films but the ones I have seen were very enjoyable so when I received the email to review his newest film Girl With a Straight Razor I quickly made time for it.  Thanks Chris for allowing Horror Society and myself the opportunity to see your new film!
      The film follows a young girl who is tormented by something as she explores the intricacies of the straight razor that she wields.  She walks the streets slashing those she crosses paths with while exploring her own sexuality with the blade.
      I was really looking forward to this one but I was quick to see that it wasn't for me.  As I often state in my negative reviews, if I didn't care for a film that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  Often times, it just means that I didn't get it or fully understand it.  I feel like that is the case with Girl with a Straight Razor.  The film was beautifully shot, edited, and acted but I found myself more confused than anything.  I'm fairly stupid and often dodge the more artistically put together films like this neo-giallo piece from Chris Alexander so take my review at face value.  Hell, you may like it if you can understand it.  The acting in this one is well done.  The cast is small but everyone absolutely nails their performances.  Chappell is the star of the show and he on screen presence and beauty is unparalleled in the indie horror scene.  The character she brings to life seems like she has a lot to say but the way the film was shot left a lot on the table.  The story for this one is simple but it does have some layers to it.  I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly what the film is about but I do know what I seen.  We follow a women who has a bloodlust and is sometimes turned on by her instrument of choice.  I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the story was more straight forward and self-explanatory but for those of you that likes your arthouse mixed with giallo then you will be right at home with this one.  Finally, the film has several bloody moments with decent enough make-up effects.  However, if you are looking for an extremely bloody or gory flick then you will be very disappointed.  The film is more of a character piece than a bloody flick with a body count.  Overall, Girl with a Straight Razor just wasn't for me.  It's over my head but I still enjoyed watching Ali Chappell and each scene is beautifully shot.  Fans of giallos, especially neo-giallos, may appreciate this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment