Saturday, December 4, 2021

Star Trek: Discovery Season Three


Creator(s) - Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Star Trek: Voyager) and Alex Kurtzman (Clarice, Tales from the Darkside)
Starring - Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time..), David Ajala (Doctor Who, The Dark Knight), and Blu del Barrio (The Ready Room)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Sci-Fi/Adventure
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     The last week or so I've been spending all my spare time watching Star Trek: Discovery.  As I stated in my season one review, I wasn't the most avid Star Trek fan but I do enjoy most of the series and films that I've seen with Picard rekindling that spark.  However, Discovery is a new obsession that I'm struggling to kick.  Hell, I even took personal time from work to watch season and three.  After binging the third season I have to admit that I'm still obsessed with the series but the third season is the weakest so far.  It's not bad but it's not as riveting and indulging as the first two seasons.
     This season begins with Michael (Martin-Green) and the crew of the Discovery 900 years into the future.  The Federation is just a fraction of it's former self after a catastrophic disaster where ships carrying dilithium crystals exploded killing millions.  Many planets under the Federation has left blaming them for the cause.  Now ships are struggling with space travel due to the lack of dilithium.  Michael and the rest of the Discovery crew set out to uncover the real cause of the event, known as The Burn, to clear the Federation's name in order to bring peace and preservation back to the galaxy.
     Discovery has some seriously dedicated fans along with Star Trek fans that dislike the show for trying to shoehorn itself into Star Trek mythos.  I understand where the second people are coming from but I fucking love this show.  This particular season doesn't really try to force itself into existing Star Trek mythology and creates it's own.  I liked it but it does struggle a bit.  The acting in this one is consistent with the other two seasons.  The characters are unforgettable and the cast dives deep into their roles.  It's hard to see where the acting ends and the character begins.  I love the casting and the new characters introduced has just as much personality as the existing characters.  A lot of great casting and writing went into this.  The story for this season does step away from the bright future and happy endings of the previous seasons to a more bleak and unpredictable future where the Federation and what it once stood for is now in question.  I did like this direction but it does take a long time for it to pick up.  In fact, it doesn't really pick up until the 10th or 11th episode.  While it does a great job at creating character and story development but the action doesn't really pick up until the later episodes.  Finally, the film is still as visually stunning as the first two seasons. We get fantastic make-up effects, amazing sets and wardrobe, and the visuals are outstanding.  Overall, season three is still an amazing season but it does lack that kick that the first two seasons had.  I highly recommend it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment